I've found nema 17 (17hs2408) for a very good price, these are the details:

Step Angle ( 。): 1.8。
Motor Length (mm): 28mm
Rated current (A): 0.6 A
Phase Resistance (Ω): 8 Ω
Phase Inductance (mH): 10 mH
Holding Torque (N.cm min): 12 N.cm
Detent Torque (N.cm max): 1.6 N.cm

I'm worried about the torque, I know that it's too weak for the extruder, but what about the axes? I'm building a prusa i3, and I don't know if the torque is enough :/

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
Re: 17hs2408 are too weak?
February 08, 2015 06:34PM
I'm no expert on the Prusa i3 in particular, however I do think that the torque of that motor is rather low for a 3D printer unless you can accept lower than normal accelerations. Also, the phase resistance and inductance are rather high, even allowing for the lower power. I suggest you look for motors with a holding torque of at least 0.2Nm and max current in the range 1 to 1.7A. My Ormerod uses these [www.aliexpress.com] and my Mini Kossel uses these [www.omc-stepperonline.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 06:35PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 09, 2015 06:33AM
They should be sufficient for the Z axis, but for X and Y they'll allow sub-par acceleration, only.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 25, 2015 05:33PM
Hi again!

I was looking for further information on the internet but I found nothing about this particular motor. So, just for curiosity, what happen if I try to use a 17hs2408 as extruder motor? (considering that everything else is slow because X Y Z axes are provided with the same motors)

thanks again!
Tobo.
February 26, 2015 05:42AM
It either works or it skips steps. If you have these steppers already, try them, they won't break anything.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 28, 2015 06:10AM
Well...it works grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

X and Y motors work fine and they are cold, but there are a few problems. First of all, Z axis acceleration is too low, I think it's because the current from a4988 is low, I don't want to increase it because of the heat, but to me it's fine, I just need to edit the gcode from slic3r to decrease the Z axis acceleration from F3600 to F100, so I wrote a minimal program to edit the gcode. The other problem is that the extruder stepper gets really hot after half an hour of printing, it doesn't skip steps, but I don't like it. So I think I'll change the extruder stepper and switch to a bowden extruder in order to relieve the work of the X axis stepper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login