Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No Power to Fan, Heated Bed, or Hot end...HELP!

Posted by TorchRed77Vette 
No Power to Fan, Heated Bed, or Hot end...HELP!
January 19, 2015 10:49PM
Hey Everyone....First time to the forum and 3d Printer.

Just finished building my first 3d printer, Folger Tech Prusa i3...Everything is working fine except when usine Repetier Host to turn on Hotend, fan, and bed.....nothing happens. So I turn to the masses for help....so far I do have 12v coming in on both inputs on the RAMPS board, but no 12V on any of the three with them manually turned on. Am I missing something simple?
Re: No Power to Fan, Heated Bed, or Hot end...HELP!
January 20, 2015 12:54AM
Do the thirmistors read room temp? as they wont come on if the thiremistors arent reading correctly

And fans have polarity so you might just have that around the wrong way.
January 20, 2015 08:33AM
Yes, both thermistors are reading room temp, and I can put my hand on the heated bed and watch the temp rise slightly. Fan is supposedly wired in the correct orientation, though even if it was wired backwards, shouldn't it just suck instead of blow? (I know it needs to blow but just saying, if that's not correct I can try to switch the leads)
January 20, 2015 09:30AM
If the fan is wired backwards, it won't turn at all. It's a brushless DC motor, so not reversible, and the electronics inside it only works with the correct supply polarity.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 20, 2015 09:44AM
Gotcha.....I'll check that. But would that explain the other two not heating up/outputting voltage? I tried turning on only the bed and got no temp rise or voltage. Is there a line of code that turns these on? Also, I've seen some other posts of similar issues where people were talking about checking to see if the board type is set as 33, do you know where this setting is? I have not confirmed this and don't remember ever setting this, only set the board type as "Mega 2560 or Mega ADK" in the Arduino/Tools menu.
January 20, 2015 10:12AM
The board type is set in Marlin firmware in the configuration.h file.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
January 20, 2015 01:26PM
Figured it out, in my sloppiness I missed the plugs for the whole row of pins closest to the 12v out connections when plugging the RAMPS into the MEGA board.....everything heats up fine now. New problem though.....when trying the first print using Repetier/Slic3r when i start the print it goes to the far corner (front left) away from my 0,0,0 (which i have set as the back right corner) and starts to extrude without moving and x or y. Z works fine (let it get through first layer) resulting in a ball of PLA in the corner of the bed....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 01:27PM by TorchRed77Vette.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login