Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What board to buy?

Posted by AFK-er 
What board to buy?
January 19, 2015 04:46AM
Hello. My old Arduino MEGA 2560 have burned along with 5 StepStick A4988 because of voltage stabilizer on Arduino board. And my question to you is....
What board shoud i buy now?
and another question is....
What power supply should i get to recomended board?
And please tell my why should i get this board and power supply because i just don't know what board is great nor i don't know if i should get another Arduino.
And i'm going to control a delta printer with it. And i'm from Poland so i would love to get something not too expensive but great and obtainable here.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 04:55AM by AFK-er.
Re: What board to buy?
January 19, 2015 11:56AM
An 8-bit Arduino is really under-powered for running a Delta printer. Therefore, I recommend a 32-bit processor, and dumping the 8-bit Arduino ecosystem.

Smoothieware is popular among serious Delta printer people. In North America, the Axteeg X5 Mini is priced good and runs Smoothieware. In Europe, you can probably get Smoothieboard hardware for a good price, or maybe order the new AZSMZ from Ali Express if China shipping is fast where you are.

Another 32-bit option that you have is the Arduino Due + RADDS card, which will run Repetier firmware. RADDS is based out of Germany, so it should be fast shipping.

I'd be remiss if I did not point out that forum user dc42 is actively developing Delta support for the RepRapPro DUET controller. You would probably be a beta tester this week, but the controller has a lot of nice features like an internal web server if you want to buy a top-end board.

I personally have the Azteeg X5 Mini running Smoothieware, and am very happy with my controller and how easy it was to set up.....
January 19, 2015 12:03PM
cxandy's post here today summarizing Smoothieware boards has this one listed...from POLAND!!!

http://3d-printers.pl/product/sunbeam

I have no experience with it, but no currency conversion is necessary in your case..... smiling smiley
January 19, 2015 06:00PM
Thank you for your reply.
Well This SUNBEAM is waaaaay to expensive.
WOW so many boards... I'm sooo confused now eye popping smiley
Well after looking here [thinkl33t.co.uk] i think i will try to find AZSMZ and thank you for advertising cxandy's post i found there what i needed spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 01:27PM by AFK-er.
January 19, 2015 06:57PM
If you are sourcing a board from the UK then the Duet is another possibility. Cheapest price currently is GBP60+VAT here [www.think3dprint3d.com]. The Duet has an Ethernet port and the firmware supports a mature web interface. I have mine doing delta moves now - without approximating delta motion by splitting moves into a sequences of short moves, which is what other delta firmwares do.

Lack of an Ethernet port and a web interface would be a showstopper for me. Once you have used a good web interface, you will never want to go back to anything more primitive. However, if you are happy to manage without, then the AZSMZ board looks good value to me. Being able to replace the driver modules is nice, although that normally comes at the cost of not being able to adjust the motor currents in software (which you can do on the Duet and the Smoothie).

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login