Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LCD 12864 For RepRap.. aint working ?

Posted by CrazZzeD 
LCD 12864 For RepRap.. aint working ?
January 15, 2015 02:45PM
Hello there... i got this screen [www.ebay.com]

Mounted too the ramps 1.4 thats mounted onto the arduino mega 2560.. Thing is.. the screen only gets "lighted up" i think the only thing working is the "back lights".. (Blue light)

I've double checked every connection etc.. Ive made sure with a multimeter that the ramps 1.4 gets the correct volts in both the 11 amp and the 5 amp "current intake"/"Power input".. (The power source is capable of 30 amps.. so i think im fine there aswell..)

The arduino mega 2560 ive had no problem with so far (Program tested it (controlling a led) seems too work great.)

So.. Sum it up.. No obvious faults, Correct volt both "intakes" on ramps 1.4 and the arduino gets its power from USB. (Havent checked with multimeter but do i really need to?)

i dont think the problem is due too insuficent power.

(I havent done anything else than plugging everything together after testing the arduino with the "LED test") - I was going too test the motors testing if i could controll it from the LCD screen (seen other people do this) but the screen only lights up... and doesnt matter what i do still only gets backlit..

As far as i know i dont need to fix any settings or "install" any program/code to the screen to make it work? Shouldnt it be like i dunno... Pre programed?

Please help me >.< ive taken water over my head buying parts and metal for 600 euros xD Really want this too work out ^^

/Patrik Sundén
Re: LCD 12864 For RepRap.. aint working ?
January 15, 2015 03:55PM
Did you upload a 3D-printer firmware to the Mega2560? Which one, Marlin?

Did you configure Marlin for the LCD by activating REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER in Configuration.h?

If the firmware is well configured and uploaded, could the problem be due to bad contrast setting of the LCD? (In this case, you should still be able to hear the
"clicks" when you activate the rotary encoder.)
January 16, 2015 10:29AM
*Did you upload a 3D-printer firmware to the Mega2560? Which one, Marlin?*

Nope >.<

i thought the lcd had something too test the motors with, some "built in" or "in programed" "settings?" from the start ^^
Didnt know i had too upload a firmware too the arduino too use the LCD too controll the motors for testing >.<

Ima spend some time trying too fix a firmware for it now and ill let everyone know how it goes later on tonight! thumbs up

(Sorry for being total noob in this area, i seriously dont know shit about electronics or programing, so far its been youtube and google) grinning smiley

But im very stubborn so even if this will take 100 times longer than it should i will complete my 3d printer! No matter how painfull and hard this printing experience will be.. Pretty sure all the trouble will be worth it.. And imagine the satisfaction smiling bouncing smiley

Thank you for your help! smiling smiley /Patrik Sundén
January 16, 2015 12:19PM
The 12864 LCD is completely passive, the display must be driven by the (properly configured) firmware in the Mega2560...

Ok, so you need to:
  1. download Marlin, install it in your Arduino sketchbook
  2. modify Marlin's file Configuration.h, at least you need to set MOTHERBOARD to 33 and uncomment the line defining REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER (not REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER, that would be for the non-graphic 2004 LCD)
  3. download the libraries needed for your LCD into sketchbook/libraries, [code.google.com] + maybe some others...
  4. compile and upload Marlin to your Mega2560 (resp. correct any problems that the Arduino compiler might complain about ... until success)
After that, you should at least be able to see the start page on the LCD...
January 17, 2015 10:29AM
I got the LCD working last night grinning smiley, Downloaded Marlin and something called U8glib, went and "defined" the motherboard to 35 (reading your new comment made me change this to 33 (just now)). Maybe this will fix my new problems :'D

Defined the reprap_discount_full_graphic_smart_controller..

The arduino "complier" didnt list any problems, it all worked okay screen working and all (fixed the LCD now the next problems emerge).

With the LCD i tried everything the LCD could do all its functions.. Some did not work proper it seems.. (Could be due too lack of me defining stuff ^^, will check guides etc on the new "problems" i got)

For one.. The motors did not want too rotate (tried too rotate them with the "Move axis" function under the menu tab "Prepare".. tried too move 10mm, 1mm and 0.1mm none of these worked... They tried but it was like they where "too weak" too even move a mm... (Could feel em trying too move).. Figure this might be due to alot of diffrent things? For one the motors are 2.5 amps and my stepper drivers got a max of 2 amps. (Some say it says 2 amps but can only give 1.2 amps) soo thats prolly it... (ima order some new steppers soon)..got the "A4988" steppers... if not this maybe there's some defining and settings ive missed.. (Will google this today and my goal for today is trying too get the motors too rotate! grinning smiley )

Another thing was.. i tried too set a "home offsets", it makes a weird beep and returns me too the "main screen".. Every time i try.. also the "Auto home" does nothing but that might be becouse i havent fixed the "home offsets".. I have no clue why i cant even set the "home offsets" this one bothers me.. (Will google the problem)..

One more thing i was botherd about but havent looked into yet.. I saved some random 3d printing files from thingiverse on the SD card.. the LCD could find the new folders and navigate trough em.. but didnt find any files at all.. (Saved .stv and one more file type i dont remember the name, but im pretty sure .stv should work..)..
(will google this)

*Edit* under the menu tab "Prepare" there's "Disable steppers" and "Switch power off" these two did nothing aswell.

Thanks for all your help smiling smiley /Patrik Sundén

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 10:33AM by CrazZzeD.
August 19, 2016 09:28AM
I found this thread as i searched online to get my lcd 12864 setup.

My folger tech printer came with marlin and i despite following instructions i wasnt able to get the screen to work.

When i downloaded the latest marlin and followed your instructions the screen worked but i nearly busted the printer . It would try to home in the x and y axies and ram into the end stops and not stop.

When i tried running the printer with a computer and repetier and no lcd panel i lost my heated bed function.

I ended up loading the old marlin firmware and recovered the heat bed function on repetier using a pc.

Is there a guide on properly configuring this lcd so the printer works properly?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login