Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Short circuit, something is broken but what?

Posted by navyblueboss 
Short circuit, something is broken but what?
January 04, 2015 11:33AM
Hello everyone,

I just fixed some issues with my i3 but facing new ones allready. I was being very very stupid and created a short circuit while trying to measure the voltage but the multimeter was set to ampere. I connected the + and - of the heatbed for like 0,0001 second while it was on and heared a little cripsy sound.

After checking every function of the printer there are two problems:

1. The heatbed wont go off. As soon as i plug in the PS it starts heating. No matter what i tell it to do.

2. The Y motor behaves like it doesnt gets enough current but cranking it up doesnt get me anywhere. It just doesnt do anything and when im lowering the current it starts shaking.

Whats the best move right now? I've no clue what parts ive just destroyed. :-(
Re: Short circuit, something is broken but what?
January 04, 2015 02:40PM
You definately fried the MOSFET driving the heatbed. Start there.
January 06, 2015 03:17AM
Jep, MOSFET even started smoking when i was testing the stepperdrivers.. Thanks for the handout, im going to replace the Ramps and one of the stepperdrivers.
January 06, 2015 04:39AM
The mosfet on the RAMPS should be easy enough to replace, they are through-hole components.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 07, 2015 02:58PM
Yeah but i couldnt find the right mosfet and ordering a new RAMPS cost me less time smiling smiley

Everything is fixed now. Thanks for your help!
January 07, 2015 03:36PM
navyblueboss
Yeah but i couldnt find the right mosfet and ordering a new RAMPS cost me less time smiling smiley
For future reference (and it's not a bad idea to just replace at least the bed's MOSFET anyways), this MOSFET is generally recommended as an upgraded replacement as it operates cooler at higher current loads.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login