Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which electronics is best for the E6D kraken

Posted by Fpex 
Which electronics is best for the E6D kraken
January 03, 2015 04:35PM
As the title said, which is the best electronics for the four head kraken head?
I was planning to use the duet plus expansion board, but it seems to have problems with temp stability readings from the expansion board.

Thanks for any suggestion,

Francesco
Re: Which electronics is best for the E6D kraken
January 03, 2015 05:19PM
Fpex
As the title said, which is the best electronics for the four head kraken head?
I was planning to use the duet plus expansion board, but it seems to have problems with temp stability readings from the expansion board.

Thanks for any suggestion,

Francesco

RADDS board with radds ext board on a DUE is about your only option if you want 32 bit controller or I believe there are mods to the Duex4 to overcome the temp stability issues

If 8 bit is ok then the Panacut AZTEEG X3pro is the answer

Doug
January 03, 2015 05:57PM
The on,y mod I saw on the duex4 is for one extra extruder to fix the noisy ground on it.
I will check the radds.
January 03, 2015 08:14PM
Fpex
The on,y mod I saw on the duex4 is for one extra extruder to fix the noisy ground on it.
I will check the radds.

I am not familiar with the RADDS. The noise problems on the DueX4 don't actually stop you from printing. The main effect is to cause the apparent temperature to fluctuate, in particular when the hot end is at room temperature and the readings are most affected by noise. There are a few potential remedies:

1. If only one extra extruder is used, swap the bed temperature and second hot end thermistor connections. The bed thermistor is less sensitive to noise because of its lower value and lower temperature range.

2. Change the thermistor series resistors from 1K to 4.7K. This will reduce the impact of the noise, especially at room temperature. In time, DueX4 boards are likely to have 4.7K as standard, just as recent Duet boards do.

3. Move the smoothing capacitor(s) for the channels needed from the DueX4 to the Duet, as explained in my blog entry on dual-nozzle conversion for the Ormerod.

Another solution will be to use the Duet daughter board that RepRapPro is manufacturing and should soon have available. This design avoids the noise problems of the X4.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 04, 2015 04:23AM
I thought of (2) as a possibility. I am not handy with soldering and de soldering, but a good friend it.
Waiting for reprap board is probably not a good idea, because they focus on two noodles only.
January 04, 2015 10:10AM
Fpex
Waiting for reprap board is probably not a good idea, because they focus on two noodles only.

The RepRapPro Duet shield files are at [github.com]. The schematic shows that it supports 2 additional extruders and hot ends, making 3 in all. So still one short for a Kraken.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 09, 2015 01:21PM
As DC42 days the Duet+Duex4 temperature noise issue is only really apparent at room temperature. I picked 1K resistors for the Duet specifically to improve the temp response at printing temperatures (where it matters). In addition the termal mass of the hotend means that the actual temperature is not changing. I will improve the analogue ground in the next version, in the meantime if it is a bother you can use DC42s suggestions

Kraken blog post:

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Its over a year old now.... time passes fast in 3d printing!

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
January 10, 2015 01:07AM
Any idea when the next version is? Apart from adding one to my ormerod, I am now looking at what electronics to use for a Kossels with multi tool heads (like à kraken or true RGBK head we are trying to make) ... Only options I have are duet+exp or radds+exp.

And I saw you blog, time flies!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2015 01:08AM by Fpex.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
January 10, 2015 01:43PM
I can't give a time line on the next version yet i'm afraid.

Regards

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login