Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem connecting to Pronterface

Posted by JNOD 
Problem connecting to Pronterface
December 26, 2014 04:10AM
Hi guys,

I am trying to setup my smoothieboard and give it a test, but I am falling at a relatively early hurdle......PLEASE HELP???

I have loaded the firmware using the SD card and it appears to have taken it successfully as it changed the file name on the SD card.

I have installed the Windows drivers for smoothieboard and it shows up when I connect via USB in my device manager.
(It shows up as "Smoothieboard USB Serial (COM31)" as opposed to "Smoothie Virtual Serial Port (COM??) as in the Smoothie documentation, which may be because they are using Windows 7/8 and I use XP?) See [smoothieware.org]

Anyway, I have Smoothieboard connected to my PC and it shows up in device manager with a Port and the contents of the SD card also show up in my computer which gives me a warm feeling.

However, when I use Pronterface to connect using COM31 and tried many baudrates, it simply hangs.
.log shows up different error messages including:

Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "threading.pyc", line 532, in __bootstrap_inner
File "threading.pyc", line 484, in run
File "printcore.pyc", line 97, in _listen
File "io.pyc", line 520, in readline
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 212, in read
ValueError: Attempting to use a port that is not open

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pronterface.py", line 1566, in connect
File "printcore.pyc", line 76, in connect
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 30, in __init__
File "serial\serialutil.pyc", line 260, in __init__
File "serial\serialwin32.pyc", line 56, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port COM31: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified.

From device manager, my current port settings are:

Bits per second : 9600
Data bits : 8
Parity : None
Stop bits : 1
Flow control : None

Driver Provider : Uberclock, LLC (http://uberclock.com)
Driver Date : 13/03/2014
Driver Version : 5.1.2600.0
Digital Signer : Not digitally signed

Under Advanced Port Settings I have:

Use FIFO buffers checked and Receive Buffer: Low(1) and Transmit Buffer: Low(1) both pushed all the way to the right (high (14) and high (16) respectively).

There are many more details in the details tab, but there are too many to list, so if any are relevant please let me know and I will locate them.

Can anyone give me a hint? I am happy to try different things but have no idea where to start?

Thank you and Merry Christmas (late)!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login