Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need some thermistor / wiring help regarding Prusa I3 build

Posted by FLY-FAST 
Need some thermistor / wiring help regarding Prusa I3 build
December 23, 2014 03:29PM
I recently purchased a 'Complete 3D Prusa I3 printer kit from seller on eBay.

I am looking for help with a few things, and am hoping someone out there can give me a push in the right direction regarding:

Broken thermistor - The thermistor on the hot bed is fine, but, the thermistor used in the extruder is physically broken. Can anyone tell me what I can purchase to use in lieu of the broken thermistor?
I did some research online, and it appears that some people use:

[www.radioshack.com]

Is this an appropriate substitution? If so, do I need to make any changes aside from physically swapping these out?

If I need to use something else, can someone please link exactly what to buy? I'm hoping Radio Shack has something that can be used as they are a 5 minute drive from my home.

Power supply wiring, I am seeing two different solutions to correctly wiring up a power supply. The power supply has 3 output 12V connectors. I see some people are simply using just one of the 12V connectors to feed their printer. But, I am also seeing some people have used two of the 12 connectors. I don't understand what the difference here is:
Should I just use one of the outputs or should I be using two? If I should be using two, is the second output wired directly to something (the hot bed for instance)? If so, what? What benefit(s) are there in using two 12V connectors?
Re: Need some thermistor / wiring help regarding Prusa I3 build
December 23, 2014 06:54PM
you have linked to a resistor not a thermistor..

try [www.ebay.com]

You need to set your firmware to have the correct type of thermistor you have.
December 23, 2014 07:16PM
Dust
you have linked to a resistor not a thermistor..

try [www.ebay.com]

You need to set your firmware to have the correct type of thermistor you have.

Sorry, I know this is a dumb question, but is a thermistor the same thing as a potentameter?

Can I use a resistor in place of the thermistor?

I'm trying to find one reasonably local so I could just head to the store and buy one before XMAS.
December 24, 2014 02:47AM
No, a thermistor is not the same as a potentiometer. It looks like radio shack no longer stocks thermistors.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login