Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternative to RAMPS 1.4 for DELTA printer? Smoothieboard maybe? is there anything else?

Posted by calmasacow 
I was discussing some things about motors for my Delta printer I want to build and I mentioned that I was planning on using the RAMPS 1.4 kit and NEMA 17 that are the ones in the Kossel Kit.

Than I was told this:
dc42

btw I wouldn't choose standard RAMPS or any other 8-bit Arduino electronics to run a delta, because the 8-bit processors barely have enough power for this application. I suggest you choose 32-bit electronics.

So where do that leave me? Can someone recommend a solution here. The only thing I have found that I think might fit this recommendation be the Smoothieboard 4x. Am I correct and does this fit the bill? Will this work with a Delta printer? will this work with MatterControl?

I would like to get some input before making a purchase.

Thank you in advance!
The Azteeg X5 Mini is a 32-bit board, runs Smoothieware, and sells for $109 USD the last time that I looked. No complaints with mine on a Delta, and it is a very popular option on the Google Deltabot group.

The 32-bit Arduino Due has the option of using a RADDS board like a RAMPS running Repetier firmware, which is more readily available in Europe. (I am purposely omitting Due/RAMPS-FD, since the Geeetech board has issues.)

The RepRapPro Duet board is also 32-bit, but the RepRap firmware does not have Delta support beyond a promise by a forum member here to implement Delta support over the next few months.

There is at least one piggyback board available for the Beagle Bone Black processor, which I believe is running Linux. Don't know much about the Delta support or package, but is is a combination that pops up on the Google Deltabot group every few weeks.

I am partial to Smoothieware on either the Azteeg X5 Mini or Smoothieboard, since the Delta support is mature and was written by a Delta printer designer.....
Re: Alternative to RAMPS 1.4 for DELTA printer? Smoothieboard maybe? is there anything else?
December 20, 2014 04:06PM
vreihenThe RepRapPro Duet board is also 32-bit, but the RepRap firmware does not have Delta support beyond a promise by a forum member here to implement Delta support over the next few months.[/quote

Actually, the promise I made was January, so it's weeks not months. But of course, it's still vapourware until I deliver it! The preparatory work is going well and I expect to have the basic delta support working in 1 to 2 weeks from now. You can track the progress in the 'delta' branch of my RepRapFirmware repository in github.

The Duet supports Ethernet and a web interface. Does the Smoothieboard?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
So I bought the smoothie board X4. it has ethernet but it looks like the port you have to install yourself. Oh well I dont really need Ethernet but I can add it by purchasing the $11 part and installing it on the board. I like that the Azteeg X5 Mini has support for LCD controllers out of the box I may try one of these as well.

vreihen
The Azteeg X5 Mini is a 32-bit board, runs Smoothieware, and sells for $109 USD the last time that I looked. No complaints with mine on a Delta, and it is a very popular option on the Google Deltabot group.
~...
I am partial to Smoothieware on either the Azteeg X5 Mini or Smoothieboard, since the Delta support is mature and was written by a Delta printer designer.....

Are you using once of the VIKI LCD? how well does it work? Definatley would like to use one of these I dont really see how you can get along without it to be honest.
Here is main board buy link:

[www.aliexpress.com]

Here is 12864 LCD buy link:

[www.aliexpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 07:24PM by cxandy.
Nice find! That makes *four* different vendors selling Smoothieware-based boards.....
calmasacow
Are you using once of the VIKI LCD? how well does it work? Definatley would like to use one of these I dont really see how you can get along without it to be honest.

I had a SainSmart GLCD 12864 (RRD clone) for my 8-bit controller, and wound up hard-wiring it to the Azteeg X5 Mini with some jumper cables. I was hoping that someone would make a daughter board like the one that adapts RAMPS to LCD displays, but it never happened. Since the company that makes the Azteeg also makes the VIKI, there's probably not much hope in ever seeing this adapter directly from them.

I haven't checked the Smoothie site recently, but there used to be lots of cautions about problems with the VIKI on a Smoothieboard that also seemed to carry over the the Azteeg X5 Mini. I'd recommend doing your homework before buying that combo. The GLCD 12864 support seems to work well, with the caveat that some of the Azteeg boards are weak on internal +5V power and the GLCD goes flaky due to low voltage. You can either power it from external +5V, or do like I did and run the Azteeg's +5V off of USB to work around this issue.

Regarding the utility of the LCD, I wouldn't miss it with Smoothieware as much as with Repetier/Marlin. Smoothieware presents the on-board SD card as a USB drive to a connected PC, so my normal routine is to copy the .gcode file to the on-board SD card, open Pronterface, and "@PLAY filename" to kick it off.....
dc42
Actually, the promise I made was January, so it's weeks not months. But of course, it's still vapourware until I deliver it! The preparatory work is going well and I expect to have the basic delta support working in 1 to 2 weeks from now. You can track the progress in the 'delta' branch of my RepRapFirmware repository in github.

The Duet supports Ethernet and a web interface. Does the Smoothieboard?

It supposedly does, and the 4X and 5X boards now include the socket by default per their web site. I can't speak for the functionality or utility of the feature, since my Azteeg doesn't have the hardware.

I am looking forward to seeing Delta support in RepRapFirmware on the Duet. The lack of Delta support is the only reason why I did not buy a Duet board months ago.....
Re: Alternative to RAMPS 1.4 for DELTA printer? Smoothieboard maybe? is there anything else?
December 22, 2014 03:29AM
If you fancy DIY, then this may be an option. You have to draw wiring, but will work with any development board of any kind smiling smiley Sort of breadboard style.
NoobMan
If you fancy DIY, then this may be an option. You have to draw wiring, but will work with any development board of any kind smiling smiley Sort of breadboard style.

DIY is not easy!

New 32 bit ARM based Motion controller for 3D printers, CNC Machines and Laser cutters. Like Azteeg x5 mini or smoothieboard(no network).
AZSMZ Mini [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com]
AZSMZ 12864 LCD [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
SMART RAMPS [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
[www.facebook.com]
Does smoothieware have servo support now?
Haven't been following since the early sw dev days (still have the early beta board, in fact).
January 13, 2015 01:39PM
vreihen
I am looking forward to seeing Delta support in RepRapFirmware on the Duet. The lack of Delta support is the only reason why I did not buy a Duet board months ago.....

I have written blog entries on using the Duet with a Mini Kossel here [github.com] and here [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 14, 2015 09:00AM
I use for Deltas our RADDS v1.2 with RAPS128 Solution with Repetier-Firmware v 0.92
Stable-and flexible-Firmware, very accurate and low vibrations-> better printresult->low noise ...:

Setup:

DippSwitches MSN1=1 (x2), MSN2=2 (x4) MSN3=3 (x16) for Full 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32 1/64 1/128 Microstepping:

Mein Club: [hackerspace-ffm.de]
RADDS-Shield -> Commercial [max3dshop.org]
Angelo

Do you still do/have the large round Heatbed for a Delta I seem to remember a post some time back ref a 400mm diameter one that you were doing if so can you give me a price for one please?

Doug.
January 14, 2015 09:31AM
HI doug,

how are you, fine to read you?

Work your KRAKEN solution with RADDS+Extension ?
[e3d-online.com]
It works fine, or you need help (firmware etc...) ?
Can you post some Fotos please?

Yes, I have had build a own PCB heatbed, but a D400 mm Silicon Heater with 220 Volt and SSR are a better solution for this.
If you like, I can ask for a D400 mm SiliconHeater (under 100 Euro).

This is my Prototype for 24 Voltage in two Hot Zone . I have had build 3 peaces for my own. Not for Sale :-).
Not so recomanded, but who like to build it, I can send the Gerber Files (eagle) and declare it for open source.
[forums.reprap.org]

Angelo

No not made any progress with the CoreXY and Radds yet been to busy and keep redesigning it as I am not to happy with bits and think I may do it again to use V-Groove Wheels on Makerslide for the X and Y Axis now so going to build a D400 Delta first.

I already have a 400x400 silicon 220Volt heater and a SSR so I could use that without to much difficulty and just mount the bed slightly differently.

Might also build the CoreXY with a E3D Cyclops Mixing Extruder This will be a neat solution for multi coloured printing I think and very small footprint and easier to mount on a Makerslide system.

Doug
January 14, 2015 10:02AM
thumbs up

angelo
...DippSwitches MSN1=1 (x2), MSN2=2 (x4) MSN3=3 (x16) for Full 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32 1/64 1/128 Microstepping:
[attachment 47110 RADDS_2-Back.jpg]
1/128 Microstepping? eye popping smiley Does it whine like those DRV8825 at 1/32 does? 1/128 is making me drool here for some stuff but too bad we can't software control these on the fly for corners and certain other things. Now that I really want to see for these printers.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login