Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor stepper controlled

Posted by calogerom 
Motor stepper controlled
December 12, 2014 01:04PM
Hi everyone!
Do you know a motor stepper controlled like L297? This IC have only full and half step modes, but I would find an IC with a minimum of 1/8 steps. Can you help me?
Re: Motor stepper controlled
December 12, 2014 04:10PM
I am not sure what you are looking for. The L 297 is a controller to drive a chip such as the L298 to drive a stepper.
Are you looking for a chip to control an L298 or are you looking for a stepper driver chip.
To drive a L298 with multi steps most people use a small microcontroller.
To drive a stepper with a single chip there are several available but It depends on what power/voltage level you need as well as can you build a board with fine traces or do you require a dip package like the L297
December 12, 2014 06:53PM
My idea is to realize a simple board to control the 3D printer. About microcontroller I would use Arduino Mega. With this, can I drive L298? Also I would use a dip package like the L297. Is it possible?
December 12, 2014 10:02PM
you are re inventing the wheel... this is what reprap used in 2008!

see [reprap.org]
December 13, 2014 01:15AM
Aren't there recently motor stepper controller that use DIP package?
December 13, 2014 03:22AM
probably not. Dip wasn’t really designed for lots of heat or current. also with the thermal stresses of heating up and cooling down it would wiggle out of a dip socket
December 13, 2014 03:37AM
If you are designing new electronics, then Arduino Mega and L298 are both bad choices. The Mega is underpowered, especially when controlling a delta printer, and 32 bit processors are cheap these days. The L298 uses ancient bipolar technology resulting in high power dissipation, and in order to work in constant current mode (which is necessary to get good speeds) it needs another chip (the L297) to driven it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 13, 2014 07:26AM
dc42
If you are designing new electronics, then Arduino Mega and L298 are both bad choices. The Mega is underpowered, especially when controlling a delta printer, and 32 bit processors are cheap these days. The L298 uses ancient bipolar technology resulting in high power dissipation, and in order to work in constant current mode (which is necessary to get good speeds) it needs another chip (the L297) to driven it.
With Arduino Mega, which stepper motor driver do you suggest me?
December 13, 2014 10:06AM
If I was building a printer board I would use a DRV8825 driver chip. The problem is the fine pitch of the pins would be a problem for my bad eys and board building skils.
The other problem is cost, purchasing all parts required in small volume would cost more than an assembled driver board.
If you are doing it as a learning experience not a cost savings design a board using the Pololu driver board as a driver.
These driver boards are cheap and if you are building your own board you will blow at lot of chips prior to getting a working board.
I made my own driver board for a cnc machine. I made several tries before I had a working board. The cost to build was 3 times the cost to buy a driver. This does not count the $400 scope I purchased to test board. They did not work as good as a purchased driver and I then ending up purchasing a commerial driver to get a reliable machine.
I do not reget building my own as I learned a lot and that was my goal.

If learnig is your goal go for it but start simple and grow, if getting a cheap board is you goal just buy one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login