Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is RADDS not open source?

Posted by ekaggrat 
is RADDS not open source?
December 12, 2014 04:00AM
I cant seem to find the pcb files for RADDS .. I thought it was open source according to the wiki.... confused smiley
Re: is RADDS not open source?
December 12, 2014 09:42AM
Open Source does not mean that the PCB files have to be available, or even just a circuit board diagram and layout. The schematic is here if you didn't find it already. Duplicate the schematic (shouldn't be too hard...it's mostly just labels) and make your own board layout. smiling smiley
December 12, 2014 10:24AM
ekaggrat
I cant seem to find the pcb files for RADDS .. I thought it was open source according to the wiki.... confused smiley

You could always purchase a ready to go one from Radds board for 50 euros
December 12, 2014 01:00PM
Well was planning on making a radds based board as till now for both my printers i have made everthing inclyding the pcbs so was not keen on buying a radds board as there is no fun in that. Anyways i will layout my own board and call it something else. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry about the misconception of open source... i had
December 15, 2014 02:50AM
If you would make a RADDS only for you, you can make it.
Please contact me for this, if you like.
Creative Commons 3.0 License is only, that you can not make it commercial ...

For this we have the intension to push the Devellop of it and to protect the Quality for the RADDS
(Look RAMPS, RUMBA etc. Clone and their problems, if they produce it in a lower quality. You Know what I mean ...)

[www.dr-henschke.de]

Have Fun
Angelo

Mein Club: [hackerspace-ffm.de]
RADDS-Shield -> Commercial [max3dshop.org]
December 18, 2014 01:36PM
cdru
Open Source does not mean that the PCB files have to be available, or even just a circuit board diagram and layout. The schematic is here if you didn't find it already. Duplicate the schematic (shouldn't be too hard...it's mostly just labels) and make your own board layout. smiling smiley
In my understanding open source means the source that was used to make the pcb, the source files, in this case the pcb files, have to be available and open. Not the schematic, not pictures, not instuctions, not links to online stores, but the specific files which were actually used to produce the pcb, meaning exactly the PCB files. And not "on request, but publicly readily available.
March 30, 2016 02:39PM
Hi Angelo.

I'm interested in making the RADDS board.

I have been talking with the UK supplier and there appears to be a backlog of supply.

I fully accept the CC3.0 license and confirm it is for personal use (will be making it for myself.)

Can you let me know if that is okay please?

Thanks,

Glenn.
March 30, 2016 05:35PM
Open source means that i could go to the wiki grab the pcb layout etch my own circuit and source my own components to make my own and maybe develop it further as a community but like the wiki says at the top about it not classed as a opensource board
try oozenest they sell them if ure in uk

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 05:49PM by chris33.

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
March 31, 2016 07:59AM
I tried them - that's the supplier that's out of stock!

My request was to Angelo - looks like he is the creator of the RADDS and like he says, it's licensed under CC3.0 - non commercial use, so I thought I would try and request the PCB schematics in the interests of making one for myself.
April 01, 2016 07:38AM
chris33
Open source means that i could go to the wiki grab the pcb layout etch my own circuit and source my own components to make my own and maybe develop it further

Here's a design which allows this: [reprap-diy.com]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 01, 2016 11:44AM
You can always grab Kicad or something similar and layout your radds base on the shematic you can find around ... I did something similar based on radds with few mod but after looking for prototype board price and delay in production I end up buying the radds. I dont regret it, Im running RRF right now base on Dan adaptation of DC42 firmware its working nicely.

I have nothing against the gen7 hardware but its kinda limited vs a radds, the number of stepper or mosfet or even firmware option. Are you working with some firmware dev to port it to any other firmware out there?

I will keep watching your progress for my next printer that will require only the bare minimum but it kinda need to be port on more firmwares , If you need a 32 bit its because you will probably end up with a delta and im not even sure teacup have a delta kinematics and if they do now how it is vs repetier or RRF.
April 01, 2016 12:42PM
GroupB
Are you working with some firmware dev to port it to any other firmware out there?

Instead of entering the gambling game with these "popular" firmwares I prefer to have one high quality one and that's what Teacup is. Carefully written and reviewed code, regression testing, Configtool making setup easier than users of other firmwares can imagine (which is kind of a problem, because those new to Teacup usually try to compile with Arduino IDE, ignoring all the goodies).

April 01, 2016 03:08PM
Looking at Teacaup on reprap wiki, I now know that I can ignore it for a long time because it only supports ancient hardware.
April 01, 2016 03:34PM
*lol* "Ancient" hardware like Gen7-ARM released last month? "Ancient" hardware like RepRap's (assumedly) smallest controller, the Nanoheart? "Ancient" hardware like the STMF411, blasting out more than 500'000 steps/second? Well, if that's all ancient to you, then it indeed supports only ancient hardware.

April 01, 2016 09:03PM
Im not even sure if teacup support delta kinematic right now.. that why ppl went to 32 bit after all, better delta kinematic... with better calculation made for delta, calibration and more.. not just a port of 8 bit firmware. I will stick to those firmware made with that in mind that you judge " Popular and not high quality".

Talking easiest compile, nothing its more easy to use than RRF , flash the BIN with a simple command , you dont even have to enter arduino program , then put a premade config.g and edit/add/remove stuff to match your printer, No compile option and reflashing each time you change your config , you just put the new file in your SD card and reset the controller.

Its just too bad atmel did not release a sam3x8e Dip/Socket size that you can solder without problem, that would allow easy port to those " popular" firmware, removing the chip and use arduino header for due will turn your board into a bare minimum radds that will cost less to buy/make, there no bare minimum radds on the market right now, there the duet 4 stepper from china but again its solder stepper 1/16, not quite the same.
April 01, 2016 09:26PM
GroupB
then put a premade config.g and edit/add/remove stuff to match your printer, No compile option and reflashing each time you change your config , you just put the new file in your SD card and reset the controller.

You have to edit a file and call that EASY? Clearly you've never tried Configtool. There you don't need a text editor, need no SD card, need not to move files around, much less a card.

P.S.: another problem with these runtime configuration files is that the compiler can't optimise code for a given configuration, so performance suffers.

GroupB
Its just too bad atmel did not release a sam3x8e Dip/Socket size

That's indeed a big wish. Almost doesn't matter wether that'd be an NXP, Atmel or STM. Cortex-M7 in 40-pin-DIP package, yay!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 09:34PM by Traumflug.

April 02, 2016 12:39AM
It's not difficult to solder 64 pin QFN chips by reflow on a hot plate. I have done it several times for prototyping PanelDue. A 64 pin chip is more than adequate for a basic 3D printer control board. It may not be practical to use them with DIY PCBs unless you have a milling machine, but I don't have a problem with that because PCB prototypes are so cheap to have made now.

I agree that RepRapFirmware would be even better if it had a program to generate the configuration file for novice users, and one is planned. However, you can now edit the config.g file on the SD card directly in the web interface, which makes it very easy.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 02, 2016 07:08AM
dc42
It may not be practical to use them with DIY PCBs unless you have a milling machine, but I don't have a problem with that because PCB prototypes are so cheap to have made now.

It's about the same as owning a printer vs. using a print service for 3D models. Using a print service one gets accurate PCBs within two weeks, having a printer/milling machine/etching equipment one gets somewhat limited results, but within two hours. It's almost as quick as using a breadboard.

July 12, 2017 06:43PM
4 YEAR OLD POST AND AN 'ACT FROM '76 THAT CLEARLY STATES IF YOU SELL AN ITEM IT MUST CONFORM TO A FEW RULES, THINGS LIKE 'FIT FOR PERPOSE' AND THE BIGGY NO ONE EVER PICKS UP ON...YU CANT SELL AN ITEM AND THEN WITHOLD THE MEANS TO USE IT....even if you say you can....i.e. you bought a printer board to use on your machine, alas? yu cant get any software for it, when you do it doesnt work, suportt mess's you about 'helping' but non the less you were sold an item and the means to use it are withheld...
you cant sell summut and then just not offer suport or manuals to operate it...or simply say 'ahh well, yu know..it's the way it is'...messing yu about with vague hints and half baked dead ends till your 2 week period to return it for no reason at all is over then say ahh we dont do returns...coman as f88k that con is, if yu cant get it working it goes back to the point of sale, they refund you..and it's up to them to sort it out BY LAW...and no matter what bollox chopsin they come up with it's still return to point of sale.

ITEM IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

SOMETHING LIKE THE 1976 CONSUMER ACT OR SOME SUCH. (tisnt up to you to go searching the act up its the vendors responcibility, that and they know damn well).

clearly stating on your user agree ments ' i am imune from prosicusion because i said so' contravines the law and....they'll lose in a court of law.
when selling in a foreign country you have to
A. be able to comunicate efitiently..i.e. chingles bollox chopsin contravines this law...
B. abide by the laws of that land.(the international laws apply...espetialy to international componies, even though they say it wont....)
C. if item is referenced to being in your country (ebay etc..item locasion UK manchester etc etc) and it's later claused on page 90056 that ''all items ship back to china and you pay and wait a month each way''... it's illigal!!! it ships to the point of sale as soon as they print item located in Britain.
IF THEY CANT PROVIDE A UK ADDRESS...THEY HAVE TO REFUND YOU ...(they lied about its locasion...)
(i no understand the lingo contavines point A and comunicating in the native tongue.)

the list goes on peeps.............if yu cant get your printer going then the board is not fit for purpose.......'and they can see whatever they want in user agreements and terms of sales etc' if it contavines the consumer act it isnt worth the paper it's written on.

can some one endlesly send me all their cash too please? i can bullshit a bit like...but the more you send me the more motivated i'll be to better update my bullshit.

an edit required ''A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators''
oh purlease admin...which word? most of us have been on a lotta lotta forums and encounted some pritty weird word bans....
VDX
July 12, 2017 07:04PM
... uhmm?? - is there something related to anything confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login