Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need to flash bootloader

Posted by Ryan_M 
Need to flash bootloader
November 22, 2014 03:02AM
I am building my first printer and am down to setting up the firmware. I have an azteeg X1 and as I've found out I need to flash the bootloader before I can flash the firmware. Looking on the bay, it looks like the USBasp is a very economical unit. Will this do what I need? also it seems that it's a fairly simple process as it looks like the ardiuno IDE has all this built in. Is it that simple or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help,
Ryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 03:09AM by Ryan_M.
Re: Need to flash bootloader
November 22, 2014 05:36AM
Should work fine

You will need to add additional board files into the IDE to know about the board, but this is not a issue. Is documented here [reprap.org]
November 26, 2014 12:21AM
Thanks for the reply. This area of electronics is all new to me so I appreciate the confirmation. I actually ended up ordering a USBtinyISP. I don't know one from the other but I see it's supported in the arduino IDE and seemed to be preferred over the USBasp in the google searches I did. We'll see how it turns out.
December 02, 2014 03:54AM
USBtiny is often reported to support only ATmegas < 64 kB: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 02, 2014 09:19AM
I was only planning to use it to flash the boot loader. That shouldn't be bigger than 64k, should it?
December 02, 2014 01:09PM
It's not the size of the bootloader that's the problem, it's where the bootloader goes. See [forums.reprap.org].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 04, 2014 09:21PM
Fantastic! confused smiley

Probably why I cant get past this error:

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to
override
this check.

Until I read that thread, everything I've read says the USBtinyISP and USBasp are equally capable but the people have had more luck with the tiny which is why I got it... Oh well back to square one. I've been trying for 3 weeks to get firmware over to this thing. Definitely the steepest part of the learning curve building the 3D printer. I come from audio electronics so this side of things is all new to me. Meh at least I'm learning something, though I have to admit I am starting to get a little frustrated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login