Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie with questions about electronics

Posted by Deferr 
Newbie with questions about electronics
April 16, 2010 12:41PM
I am new to the RepRap project and am trying to figure out how to configure my repstrapped electronics.

Can I use a Arduino Mega in place of the Arduino with Generation 2 Arduino firmware? I would like to do this to take advantage of Generation 4 when it comes out.
Re: Newbie with questions about electronics
April 16, 2010 01:41PM
Yes, you can replace the Arduino with the Arduino Mega.

The mega isn't supported in the official 5D firmware yet. You will have to use this firmware fork on GitHub.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
April 16, 2010 01:54PM
I apologize for my ignorance on these issues. 2 more questions:

1. Is this compatible with ready made stepper drivers (easy driver, pololu, etc.)?

2. Does the firmware fork support the DC extruder or stepper extruder?
April 17, 2010 12:27PM
1. The mega will be compatible with the easy driver, pololu driver or any of the RepRap stepper drivers from makerbot. You just have to figure out how to wire them up correctly (which is not difficult.)

2. I believe that firmware fork is configured to drive a DC extruder. It can run a stepper extruder by making a change in pins.h. You need to assign a pin number to the EXTRUDER_0_STEP_ENABLE_PIN variable on line 193.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
April 17, 2010 03:59PM
Great! This is the route I will go. I ordered a Mega. I will get the firmware loaded up and then start hooking up stepper drivers. Thanks for all of the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login