Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to connect P2 to melzi?

Posted by Rich K. 
How to connect P2 to melzi?
October 10, 2014 03:16PM
Okay, I bought a Panelolu2 from T3dP3d on EBay, with an adapter board for my Melzi. No instructions came with it, and now I am confused. How do I PHYSICALLY connect the P2 to my Melzi? Do I need to solder more header pins to my board? All I have is the 6 pins in the corner free, then a series of holes next to it where more pins could be added by soldering. Then, which way would the adapter board plug in? With ni "guide", it could be plugged in either way, so I could easily plug it in backwards. It's disconcerting that I can find all sorts of info on how to configure the firmware so the two devices work together, but I have found NO info on the electronic/mechanical/physical configuration and setup!
Re: How to connect P2 to melzi?
October 10, 2014 05:03PM
Yes, you'll need to solder in a 5x2 header where there's currently just through holes. The board plugs into the 5x2 header AND the ISP header (the existing 6 pins already there) so that the adapter card hangs over the edge of the Melzi with the ribbon cable plugged in underneath. There will be two spots on the adapter board that don't have pins that corresponds to the gap between the two sets of pins. You'll also need +12V if you want to have the ability two switch transistors installed via gcode.
October 10, 2014 10:00PM
Thanks! I have some header pin strips, so shouldn't be a problem. It would just be nice if T3DP3D would document this, to avoid confusion.
October 11, 2014 07:20PM
Hi RichK

I will add it to the documentation - the Melzi boards we have had all got those pin headers soldered on by default so It did not occur to us to mention that!

Regards

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
October 11, 2014 09:24PM
I've noticed some of the Chinese boards don't even have the ISP pins installed. Most do not have the other pins installed even when the ISP pins are there.

Out of curiosity, is the P2 capable of running a "homing" routine (as in, move all axes automatically until the limit switches are contacted, i.e. "home position")? Or do I pretty much need a computer to do that?
October 12, 2014 04:40AM
If you are running marlin then you should be able to go to Prepare->Home all

Cheers

Tony

October 12, 2014 04:43AM
Also this might be helpful:

[github.com]

Its the menu tree for the standard marlin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login