Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bootloader damaged without hardware damage

Posted by sungod3k 
Bootloader damaged without hardware damage
October 09, 2014 02:53AM
Hey,

I fried myself an Arduino today. I was measuring out the pots on one of the Polulos and then somehow *zapp* and smoke, PC shuts down and now the board is still recognized over the USB but isnt able to receive firmware.

I already ordered a new one and its not the first time that happened to me so now that I can use the new Arduino as ISP I could try to talk to the old one, since its recognized.

So my question is if there is a scenario where the hardware is technically still intact and just the bootloader is fried/ a flash of the whole Arduiono could revive the board. I can imagine various degrees of "short out" with the boards and of course depends on what got shorted to what so I wonder if its possible that a short can only ruin the bootloader/chip firmware and not the hardware. Or is a short of always connected to physical damage?

Cheers
Re: Bootloader damaged without hardware damage
October 09, 2014 03:39AM
Most boards (apart from those based on AT90USB1286) have separate chips for the usb to serial converter...

The converter is still alive, the board is recognized. But the main chip is probably very dead, it had the boot loader on it.

It would be very very .... very rare for a short to only ruin the bootloader, or in fact damage the boot loader.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2014 03:41AM by Dust.
October 09, 2014 07:50AM
Alright, thought so. Ill use this oppotunity to improve my SMD soldering skills
October 17, 2014 12:12PM
I'm not sure exactly what went wrong with it, but my Ultimaker 1.5.7 board killed a mega and I was able to revive it by using an UNO I had laying around as an ISP and reflashing the bootloader. . . .

I followed these excellent instruction:
[www.gammon.com.au]
October 18, 2014 06:22AM
Make sure your brown out detector is set to at least 2.7 V, better 4.3 V. Without BOD, ATmegas tend to corrupt their brain at power loss.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login