Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smoothie - ready for prime time?

Posted by adamconway 
Smoothie - ready for prime time?
October 07, 2014 11:11AM
I have (and loved) the Azteeg X3 1.0 on my mendel max but it finally bit the dust...

I was thinking of buying the X5, I love the package - inexpesive and capable... however, when I looked at the Github repository, I saw very little activity - this tells me either the software is perfect and needs no improvement, it is dying, or that I am looking in the wrong place.

Anybody who has had experience with the Smoothie software out there? Is it ready for prime time? I dont want to do much futzing about as I am not able to print right now.

Thank you!

Adam
Re: Smoothie - ready for prime time?
October 07, 2014 01:40PM
Have you considered the Duet electronics and firmware? Like the X5 it uses a 32 bit processor, but it also has an Ethernet port and runs a web server. The firmware is under active development, by RepRapPro, myself, and at least one other person. The stepper drivers are A4982, ok to at least 1A as mounted and more with additional cooling. There is an add on board available if you want to drive more than 4 stepper motors or additional hot ends.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 07, 2014 05:09PM
You need to check the right place if you want up to date Smoothie. Last update was 5 days ago.
[github.com]

I've been using the X5 on several deltas for a while now and while Smoothies documentation isn't always perfect, I love how it runs.
October 07, 2014 06:00PM
DC42 and Sheepdog43, thank you both very much. DC42, I am probably going to stick with the Panucatt parts for now, but like what you are doing.
Cheers,
AC
October 07, 2014 07:27PM
Put me down as a +2 on the Azteeg X5 Mini. Unlike the Duet, it actually works on a Delta. Plus, the feature of being able to access the on-board Micro-SD card over the USB cable as a removable drive from your client computer is worth the $109 price of the X5 alone.....
October 08, 2014 02:54PM
vreihen
Put me down as a +2 on the Azteeg X5 Mini. Unlike the Duet, it actually works on a Delta. Plus, the feature of being able to access the on-board Micro-SD card over the USB cable as a removable drive from your client computer is worth the $109 price of the X5 alone.....

But no web interface or FTP?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 08, 2014 07:38PM
dc42

No ethernet port on the X5 Mini. I believe that the full Smoothieboard has one, but verify that on their web site.

Operating on a Delta printer is more important to some of us, and unfortunately the Duet shoots itself in the foot on the lack of Delta support.....
October 09, 2014 06:26AM
vreihen
dc42

No ethernet port on the X5 Mini. I believe that the full Smoothieboard has one, but verify that on their web site.

Operating on a Delta printer is more important to some of us, and unfortunately the Duet shoots itself in the foot on the lack of Delta support.....

I know it's of no help now, but I intend to add Delta support to the Duet firmware next month.

October 10, 2014 05:37AM
dc42
I intend to add Delta support to the Duet firmware next month.

Oh, can you write a patch which applies to Teacup firmware, too? The biggest reason we have no delta support there is, we have no delta printer, so we can't test. And users are well known to be silent about not working stuff, so implementing it guess-based is pointless either. :-)

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 10, 2014 07:02PM
I have been made a generous offer of some free delta printer hardware if I add delta support to the Duet firmware. Otherwise, I would not attempt it - because untested code is invariably broken code.

November 14, 2014 08:00AM
Hello.

Smoothie is very actively developped.
You can see recent commits here : [github.com]

Smoothieboard is also very actively developped, we are working on a new version right now.

The documentation is also very actively worked on. You can take a look at it here : [smoothieware.org]
We try to make it as complete as possible, and make it so it is understandable even to newcomers.
In particular, we have full guides for laser cutters, cnc mills and 3D printers. You can see the 3D printer guide here : [smoothieware.org]
But the documentation also includes detailled documentation for all features.

Smoothie is a project that is not only oriented towards 3D printing but also cnc milling and laser cutting.
The goal here being that by having contributors from different communities, we increase both the quality and the number of features.

Smoothieboard has ethernet support, with a web interface ( with a basic one in place now, and a much more complete one currently in development ), telnet connectivity ( for example supported by Pronterface ), and SFTP connectivity.
You can find information here : [smoothieware.org]

There are more than 2000 users of Smoothie around at the moment, and a significant community, mainly on IRC, but also in the forums/mailing lists, that can provide support and help.
I also answer support questions about Smoothie directly via email at wolf.arthur@gmail.com ( usually within the same day, sometimes after a few days ).

Smoothie has many features implemented : everything Marlin supports ( with the exception of I2C panels, which we are working on ), and much more.
I recommend you take a look at the documentation, it is a good way to see how it works/what is new with it. We'll also be working on a page presenting the features soon.

Cheers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login