Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solder station replacement

Posted by sungod3k 
Solder station replacement
September 28, 2014 07:20PM
Hey,

my solder iron just died on me. The typical thing where it gets to hot and something on the inside melts. I dont want to buy a station new every time that happens so I thought I could just buy a stand alone solder iron without the station and hook that into the station. Anything speaking against this?
Re: Solder station replacement
September 29, 2014 05:23AM
You definitely want a temperature control. Makes soldering so much easier. No need for digital displays and such stuff, though.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 29, 2014 05:41AM
rigth the temp sensor must go back into the station. ill cut it open just for fun and see if the cables allow for it
September 29, 2014 01:45PM
Check on ebay, you should be able to find repaceent for the soldering iron only for a very low cost.
September 29, 2014 08:23PM
You can usually find replacement "sticks" for the big brands, and even some of the smaller brands online (eg: eBay). A number of brands also have good spare parts available (eg: heater cores with thermocouples in them so you can just replace the broken part) if you're up to repairing it yourself.

If you do go shopping for a complete soldering station, make sure to go check out the spare parts available for it before you buy. It's worth buying a somewhat decent iron that a large variety of spares are available for, as then you should be easily able to repair it yourself should something go wrong, as the spares should be substantially cheaper than buying a whole new iron.
September 29, 2014 08:47PM
Yes you're right the next I buy myself will be better but for know i stick with the medium quality station my grand parents got for for xmas grinning smiley I checked the heater coils in the iron and there is just black goo in there. I also just opened the station and since there is apparently no thermostat in the iron, just two wires + ground I will just clamp the stand alone iron I just ordered in the station to gain temp control for it. That also gives me the chance to go softer on iron itself because its 60 watt and the station supplies only 50, so a bit more tolerance.
October 14, 2014 04:34AM
I just received the iron and it seems to work well with the old station.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login