Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet + Duex = happiness?

Posted by UkIan 
Duet + Duex = happiness?
September 16, 2014 03:33PM
Because I can order things on the internet faster than my brain can veto them, I have a Kraken 4 hotend and a Duet with extension board to run it. I've not seen a great deal about the Duet or the RepRap firmware, so this is a general request for any hands on experiences people have had. I'm not going to rush into setting it up as that would take my printer out of action, although I am planning printer 2 already, so it might end up going on that smiling smiley
Re: Duet + Duex = happiness?
September 18, 2014 03:45AM
Hi Ulktan

I take it you have seen my blog post grinning smiley

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Cheers

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
September 18, 2014 04:21PM
T3P3
Hi Ulktan

I take it you have seen my blog post grinning smiley

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Cheers

Tony

I have now smiling smiley Very informative smiling smiley Would be interesting to see the Kraken crossed with your mini kossel. I'm kinda tempted by a delta, they seem interesting, although I can't get away from the feeling that you're driving a thing on the end of very long arms.

I'm still not sure what I'm doing duet wise. I think I'm almost certainly going to use it on printer 2 which I plan to start shortly. The idea being printer 1 can churn out the parts for printer 2. As I'm designing the basic structure myself I'll be able to factor its size around the dual boards.

I did like what you've done with the wiring though, that's a top idea.
September 19, 2014 02:55PM
You might also like to take a look at my blog entry [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. I describe using the Duet+X4 to control a dual nozzle Ormerod. There is a design issue with the X4 that causes a lot of noise on the temperature readings for the thermistors connected to the X4, and I describe a modification to eliminate it - although it's possible to print without the modification.

You will find a lot of discussion of the Duet and its firmware on the Ormerod section of this forum.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 19, 2014 04:02PM
Thank you, I was wondering why I wasn't seeing any significant mention of it, I'll head over to the ormerod forum and nose about smiling smiley

I skimmed over your blog post (Well written and verrry long) so I'm going to read the whole thing later tonight smiling smiley
September 19, 2014 06:59PM
UkIan
I'm kinda tempted by a delta, they seem interesting, although I can't get away from the feeling that you're driving a thing on the end of very long arms.

Duet + Duex + Delta = Disappointment

Unless something has changed recently, the Duet's RepRap firmware does not support Delta printers..... sad smiley
September 20, 2014 01:34AM
That's true, you would need to modify the Move module in the firmware to drive a delta. I maintain a fork of the Duet firmware at [github.com] (use the dev branch, not the master one) which has quite a lot of extra functionality and is used by other Ormerod owners, but I haven't added support for deltas to it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 28, 2014 02:15PM
DC42 would it be possible for you to add a delta support?
I'm really looking to building my seccond printer and i like the duet very much (mosty ease of use an the web interface is just perfect), but want my next printer to be delta printer.
September 28, 2014 03:37PM
I'm looking to rewrite the Move module more or less completely in the near future (mostly to add pre compensation for extruder lag caused by the springiness of the Bowden extruder), and I guess I could add delta support at the same time. The snag is that I don't have a delta platform to test it on. So I would be delivering an untested firmware feature.

September 28, 2014 04:16PM
David

If you were to add Delta support I would be happy to provide a Mini Kossel Kit:

Cheers

Tony

September 28, 2014 04:18PM
Also Core XY is a popular option which I know is being worked on (I have the sample code from a customer, just not had a chance to test/integrate it yet)

September 29, 2014 07:30AM
T3P3 - that would be great of you, would in this case be possible for you to sell the mini kossel kit without the electronic parts - so i can order a duet board and build upon the same config as DC42?
September 29, 2014 01:26PM
T3P3
David

If you were to add Delta support I would be happy to provide a Mini Kossel Kit:

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

That sounds like an offer I can't refuse! I should have time to work on this near the beginning of November. I'll probably replace the mechanical Z probe by a differential IR sensor.

The work that I can see will be needed so far is:

1. Modify Move code to map the desired XYZ movement to stepper motor movements. In general, the stepper motor movements will not be linear.

2. I need to look at how G28 homing commands are interpreted on a delta. I'm guessing that a command to home X or Y drives all 3 motors up at the same speed, turning each one off as its endstop switch is triggered. Homing Z should not be done until XY is homed, and drives all 3 motors down until the Z probe is triggered. Does that sounds right?

3. Modify axis limit code to allow for the fact that the movement area is not rectangular. Similarly for the M208 command to set axis limits.

What have I missed? [Probably lots!]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 01:29PM by dc42.

October 01, 2014 09:53AM
/hijack
I posted this in CoreXY forum as well, but does ReprapFirmware on Duet support CoreXY?

Cheers
Ian
November 23, 2014 02:50PM
DC42 - i read in another thread, that you are making progress on delta support, i already build my delta, and bought duet and i'm eagerly expecting this release.
Is there something i can help with? I my self was contemplating working on the implementation, but as i looked at the code, i did'n know where and how to implement the splitting into small moves as to move the effector in a flat plane.
But i thing i can maybe help some other ways.

Pavel
November 23, 2014 05:46PM
Hi Pavel, I intend to add the delta support to the Duet firmware over the Christmas period. I've already started on the preparatory work. I don't intend to split long moves into small segments, except insofar as it is necessary to implement more than 4 bed compensation points. Instead, I hope to schedule the motor steps in real time. I've done the math, and it doesn't look to difficult, given the 32-bit power of the Duet.

What type of delta printer do you have? I'd be glad of someone else to help test the changes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login