Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best StepSticks and RAMP 1.4 board

Posted by mrboost 
Best StepSticks and RAMP 1.4 board
August 29, 2014 11:41AM
Hello,

I was hoping I could get some opinions on what the best stepsticks and ramp 1.4 boards are. I really want to go with quality for my Prusa i3 Rework.
I'm looking at elecfreaks A4988 currently.

Thank you,
Ck
Re: Best StepSticks and RAMP 1.4 board
August 29, 2014 11:58AM
I use Pololu A4988s, but I have heard a lot of good reviews on the Pololu DRV8825 stepper driver. The DRV8825 runs cooler than the A4988, can go down to 1/32 microstepping, and is compatible with the A4988 pinout.

Thingiverse Profile
August 29, 2014 03:06PM
Great thank you for the help I'm guessing it's this little guy?
[www.pololu.com]

Thank you again,
Ck
August 29, 2014 03:47PM
mrboost
Great thank you for the help I'm guessing it's this little guy?
[www.pololu.com]

Thank you again,
Ck
Yes, that is the popular A4988 stepper driver used by many if not most RepRappers. In my experience they work quite nicely as long as you put heat sinks on them!

Thingiverse Profile
August 29, 2014 05:03PM
Thank you very much! I don't know if I would be pushing it but would you be able to point me in the direction of a good RAMPS board and the correct set of motors as well?

Thank you again,
Ck
August 29, 2014 05:15PM
I bought some used steppers and a cheap RAMPS board off of eBay, which works Okay, but Ultimachine has some RAMPS and steppers that look like they're pretty good quality. The RepRap wiki has a list of stepper motor suppliers Here, and a list for RAMPS Here.

Thingiverse Profile
August 29, 2014 05:24PM
Does the height of the motor matter at all? I know two of them are going to act as legs or supports. I don't want to order the wrong thing and have it off kilter lol.
August 29, 2014 06:37PM
I really don't think that the motor height would really matter, however, I don't own an i3, so I'm not too sure!

Thingiverse Profile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login