Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Opto's exchangable ?

Posted by Replace 
Opto's exchangable ?
August 27, 2014 02:21PM
As in another Post, I am replacing my Gen6 for Ramps.

On the Gen6, the Opto's are 4-wired, so I ordered 3-wire opto's as the Ramps only has 3 contacts.
Unfortunately, the dimensions are incompatible with the mounts and, as I have no workinOrca any more, I can not redesign them.

So I took a closer look.
Both sensors bear the indicator TCST2103, which is an regular Opto make.

In the datasheet DataSheet it is a 4-wire component.
Schematics in the attachement.

So the old sensor seems to be the same component in a housing with 1 wire less. .

When I look at the datasheet, I get the impression, that I can hotwire both leads of the 4-wire version ( the old one) and re-use it on the ramps with 3 wires..
Is that a bold statement ?

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Attachments:
open | download - tcst2103.jpg (24 KB)
Re: Opto's exchangable ?
August 27, 2014 03:23PM
Yes, with a bit of work: [capolight.wordpress.com]
August 27, 2014 03:28PM
The tcst2103 is not a company or a trademark, its a part number. So if its written TCST2013 on both of them, then both are the exact same part and otherwise both identical to each other, and within characteristics in the datasheet.

However those leads are very fragile and get easily disconnected, it happened to me that i was pulling one out and one lead remained on the board. Maybe it happened to you too. Its small and it could get disconnected and lost without noticing that.
August 28, 2014 02:19AM
Cdru & Noobman, thanks for the help.

By your remarks and links I found out that :

• ...My Gen6 orca opto's are bare tcst 2103"s, with all 4 contacts wired to the Gen6.
  • ...My new 3-wire opto's now , with closer look, are the same 4-wire components, pre-soldered to a mini pcb with pull-up resistors and connected grounds.

So having realized that, I am to short-circuit the grounds of the old one, plug them in the Arduino and configure the Mega to use pull up's .
This will kill the need to design new components to mount them on the Orca.

rgrds Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 02:19AM by Replace.

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
August 28, 2014 03:25AM
Replace
So having realized that, I am to short-circuit the grounds of the old one, plug them in the Arduino and configure the Mega to use pull up's.

You need a bit more than just a rewiring. All TCST types are electrically identical, so a circuit working for a TCST1103 works for a TCST2103, too. On how the circuit can look, see [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 28, 2014 05:56AM
Well,
no matter what ... I just blew my Ramps with a big scatter, a spark and a bad smell :-(
The mega stil works , fortunately

So considering this, maybe the Gen6 blew for a reason .....
:-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 05:56AM by Replace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login