Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Opto rewiring... Help needed

Posted by Replace 
Opto rewiring... Help needed
August 14, 2014 04:49PM
As my Gen6 has crashed, I am gonna rebuild my Orca with arduino/ramps.

The current opto"s have 4wires to the gen6
The Ramps has 3 connectors per endstop.

Can I use the old opto"s or should I replace them with mechanicals ?
If yes, how to connect the wires?

Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2014 04:50PM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Opto rewiring... Help needed
August 14, 2014 08:03PM
Scroll down the link below to end-stops, it may help you..

[www.reprap.org]

August 15, 2014 05:08AM
Gen6 has the circuitry to turn an optical barrier into a digital signal deliverer on the main board. About all other electronics expect this to be on a small external PCB. This shows the required circuitry: [www.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 05:08AM by Traumflug.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 15, 2014 09:36AM
So the smartest to for me is replace the opto"s for switches and use defaul ramps ?

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
August 15, 2014 09:59AM
Replace
So the smartest to for me is replace the opto"s for switches and use defaul ramps ?

Yes thats the easiest way, i made a endstop holder some time ago exactly for that compact mechanical endstop holder

Maybe the Ramps Holder for Orca and the Universal extruder are interesting for you when witching to a 8mm hobbet bolt winking smiley
You don`t need any adapter part on the extruder for the orca.

Chri

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
August 15, 2014 07:49PM
It depends on the optical sensors you use.
If you use just the optical sensor, that's a bit trickier, but to use something like this:
[www.ebay.com]

You can almost just plug them right in and work.
Some have the sensor and - wires reversed, but otherwise you can just plug them in. I didn't even have to change anything in firmware.

They should light up when nothing is in the beam, and the lights should go out when triggered. If not, the wiring is wrong.
August 17, 2014 08:00AM
Chri
Replace

Yes thats the easiest way, i made a endstop holder some time ago exactly for that compact mechanical endstop holder

Maybe the Ramps Holder for Orca and the Universal extruder are interesting for you when witching to a 8mm hobbet bolt winking smiley
You don`t need any adapter part on the extruder for the orca.

Chri

Hi Chri

looks good. however, I notice you did use the mechanical stop for X, but I still see the optical for the Z-axis.
(Can't see the Y)

So .. is that the original Camiel Opto ? If yes.. how did you connect that to the Ramps ?
Also, can you show how the x-stop is triggered ? I presume not with the original alu sheet ?

Your Ramps adapter is indeed a good option.

Thomas

August 17, 2014 12:33PM
x and y are mounted on the rail where only one linearbearing is and are triggered by them.
Z was done with a reprap optoendstop 2.1 kit

Here you can see all three endstops:

on the picture is a sanguino board, this was only for the first tests.

you also may notice that the screws of the upper X carrier are countersunk one`s, this is to get a smooth mountingplate for other extruder and so on winking smiley

Chri

August 17, 2014 04:45PM
Thanks for the intel.

I just ordered some 3-wire opto's for the modification to Ramps. So I can replace all 3 of them.

Nice Gesture , the countersunk bolts. I might consider that in the future.

If you might be interested: I re-designed the X and Y belt clips, based on Camiel's originals, to get stronger hold of the timing belt.

X-clip
Y-clip

My Y-clips were deformed by heat, so even when tightened, the belt would slip out and my X-clip was even broken!
I also mounted washers with bigger diameter on them, to prevent the heat deforming.

Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 04:46PM by Replace.

August 17, 2014 05:07PM
I also have a reworked version of the y-clamp winking smiley
the problem is that camiel sold most of the printer with PLA parts, they will become soft for sure, therefor we always bought the kits special with ABS printed parts, or without printed parts and printed them by our self.

Chri

August 17, 2014 05:21PM
So.. who is the WE ?

I looked at your blog. You definitely have a hobby :-)
I am waiting for my 2nd kit now (Rostock Mini pro), so I have something to do while rebuilding my Orca , but that is nothing compared you you :-)
(Thumbs up !)

Thomas

August 18, 2014 12:23AM
hehe

"WE" is me and some friends i made addicted to orca`s grinning smiley
If camiel would own the company still i also would maybe build again a orca, thats just the best printer for the price i built them sad smiley

smiling smiley Chri

August 18, 2014 02:15AM
I did like the Orca too. I built mine ina workshop hosted by Camiel.
However, I have been forced to some modifications to improve,
A glass platform with kapton makes things easy
The hobbed shaft upgrade did not remove slip
Now i am reworking the extruder to a Mark8 on 5mm. That requires new extruder parts which i am still tuning.
Than ofcourse all belt clips.
I still have never been able to feed flex pla, despite modifications of the parts surrounding the drive

Now the gen6 is fried, hence my rebuild to ramps ( which now means new optos)
Well.. It is a hobby, but Camiel out of the equasion makes live sad.
My 2nd printer now is the Rostock delta mini pro which is on its way to me.

Great opportunaty to get the feeling of ramps, building it.
I even ordered more optos to replace the Rostock mechanic ones later.

Thanks for sharing
Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 02:16AM by Replace.

August 18, 2014 02:49AM
flex material is very tricky, you have to use only very little of presure from the idler to the filament, otherwise the filament will be caught by the hobbet shaft/drive/bolt or whatever is used.
also a larger bolt would be better here as is has more surface to push the filament, i`m using a brass insert on my universal wade for this, so the filamentguide is a near as possible to the bolt.
but PLA is in general a little bit more tricky than ABS on this machine, ABS is the printers favorite winking smiley

Gratulations to the ramps, the printer will become more silent running at 1/16 steps, and with an optional Display its great to work with it smiling smiley

mfg Chri

August 22, 2014 08:55AM
Hi Chri,

my arduino / ramps has arrived (inclusing LCD / SD)

Can you point me to a good Arduino sketch for Orca, to start with ?
I have never done this, uploading firmware. My Gen6 came pre-installed by Camiel :-)

rgrds Thomas

August 22, 2014 05:31PM
What Kit / LCD ect, did you got ? , opto endstops or mechanical ?

Maybe i can prepare a firmware that maybe work, but better is then when we talk a little bit over IRC or so winking smiley
Chri

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login