Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

May have fried my ramps - strange behavior

Posted by LMColl 
May have fried my ramps - strange behavior
August 06, 2014 04:07PM
Hi guys, i'm stumped and looking for a little help.

I recently rewired my printer (it was an awful mess) and on initial startup... i messed up.
I somehow managed to wrongly insert the power cord. skipping a couple of contacts over. I got a magic puff of blue smoke and quickly unplugged it.
There's no obvious scorch marks or blown resistors. Although i haven't had a look at the arduino yet.

On trying again, and properly inserting the power cable, the printer seems to work fine. I can move all axis and there doesn't seem to be any detectable error... other than the fact that pressing the Y-Endstop somehow cuts power.

I realise that it's a long shot and i'd be better off just getting a new board... But on the off chance, has anyone experienced anything similar or have an idea on what could have blown?

Cheers
Re: May have fried my ramps - strange behavior
August 07, 2014 05:01AM
Might be worth checking the diodes?

August 12, 2014 11:44AM
I do not have a ramps board so this is more or less a shot in the dark. Check decopling caps c6 and c2, especially c6 because it has a polarity. If those are damaged then your power supply, if not a well made unit, may not have the cleanest power. Which could lead to noise causing issues your board.

Also is it happening when both your min and max endstops are engaged?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login