Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Supply Problem

Posted by timmit99 
Power Supply Problem
June 30, 2014 10:33PM
I am making a Prusa I3 and i have everything assembled and wired up. When i turn on the machine without a USB connection, the power supply (Thermaltake Purepower 2.0 350W) turns on for a split second and then shuts off. However, when the USB is plugged in and connected, it will power up. In both situations though, the motors seem to have no power (no audible noise, no holding torque). I have tried a different power supply and the same problem occurs. Not sure if it is the board not being set up properly or something to do with the power supply's safety mechanisms activating.

I am running windows 8 with Marlin firmware.
I got the board and motors from Makerfarm Ramps 1.4 Kit
All the wiring was done in accordance to the image on the Reprap wiki regarding the ramps 1.4 board.
Re: Power Supply Problem
July 01, 2014 06:51AM
Which wiki instructions did you follow and where exactly did you get stuck?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 01, 2014 08:25AM
[reprap.org]

This is what i followed. Everything went together smoothly and i am able to communicate with the arduino. I have installed marlin firmware (Was getting a "Printer stopped due to errors" But i fixed that by disabling the thermistor for now.). The power supply will only stay on when the usb is powered also. I have installed the jumper on the power supply so it will turn on properly if it is not plugged into the reprap but once i plug it in and try to turn it on it starts and immediately turns off.
July 02, 2014 06:30AM
timmit99
[reprap.org]

This is what i followed

On this page neither electronics nor power supplies are mentioned at all.

July 02, 2014 06:33AM
Please don't get me wrong. Plunking down vague blobs of information doesn't allow to help and the fact you need help other than reading the wiki is a problem in it's self already. So let's fix the underlying problem, the lack of descriptions/instructions, and your trouble should disappear by reading these descriptions.

July 02, 2014 10:41PM
My problem was that the 5V line on the power supply needed a load applied to it. I had used some 5W load resistors from my parts bin but I guess it wasn't enough. So i found an old CD drive and plugged that in and it's working now. I had read all the instructions and descriptions and had no trouble with my other printers i have built.

[solved]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login