Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

avrdude: verification error and other weird behavior

Posted by sungod3k 
avrdude: verification error and other weird behavior
June 01, 2014 07:06AM
Hey,

I´ve just received a new hotend and everything went well until I wanted to plug in a cooling fan in the 12V pins.

I'm working on Sanguinololu 1.3a with Marlin or Sprinter. Both firmwares worked before and I managed to heat it up one time, but while fiddling with the 12V pin I must have shorted the them resulting in my computer shutting down. What could I have burned or f**ked up with that?
After I pulled out the fan the board connects normally again but the hotend thermistor show 109C constantly even when I pull the thermistor plug out.

Trying to reupload the firmware (compiles normal) results now in

For marlin
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x69ea
0x48 != 0x4a
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

and

for sprinter
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0002
0xf1 != 0x1d
Re: avrdude: verification error and other weird behavior
June 01, 2014 08:47PM
You have zapped the 644p/1284p

Get another one... lots available on emakershop.com
eg [www.emakershop.com], [www.emakershop.com],

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 08:47PM by Dust.
June 02, 2014 01:19AM
Hm alright anyway to confirm this diagnose?
June 02, 2014 06:09AM
Try measure the 5v line with a multimeter and make sure it actually has 5v on it, perhaps something happened with the short and has a diffferent voltage instead of 5v. That would be the good scenario.
Also could try erasing the entire chip with avrdude, reset fuses, with an icsp programmer that supplies its own power, preferably an atmel programmer. And then try re-upload after full erase.
If that does not work, hard to say, but probably the first diagnose is right. The above is just trying to make sure.
June 02, 2014 06:45AM
Yes, just for peace of mind^^ this hard reset will this require a hardware for programming? My first impulse was to look for a total reset, but then I would loose my bootloader with that.
June 02, 2014 08:34AM
Measuring 5v requires a digital multimeter. Chip erase requires an programmer, and it would erase the bootloader and even could change more fuses on the chip. But the same programmer can upload firmware without needing bootloader, or it can burn a fresh bootloader. If you dont already have a programmer, to buy one would be more expensive than a new chip. But again if you dont have a programmer then you need a new chip with bootloader or have somebody else burn a bootloader on it.
June 08, 2014 10:06AM
I got myself a USBasp programmer from a friend and im getting this:

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

I checked with non arduino programmers as well and they both cant communicate or erase the IC which I interpret as being fried.
But at least i can save cost now and buy a empty IC at the electronics store.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 07:10PM by sungod3k.
June 08, 2014 08:25PM
Search the Arduino folder for a file named "avrdude.exe" - should be in a folder like hardware-tools-avr-bin. Seach the net for "avrdude GUI" or "avrdude-gui.exe" and find an exe program like that - there are several and quite similar, download and try some of them. To run that, put them in avrdude.exe folder from arduino subfolder, and run from there. It should provide a stand alone interface from which would be easy to set: com port & programmer & atmel chip and then erase the chip. Without the "gui" program you would have to write all those settings from command line. On short, try erase the chip one more time, with right settings. See what kind of error it gives then. The error perhaps should be something different than initialization, if all the settings are correct.
June 08, 2014 09:01PM
ok almost there. what do i need to do in order for the atmega1284p to show up in the config file? I added this [gist.github.com] but the -p dropdown in the GUI doesnt list it.

and also do i need to specifiy a programmer or can i just try them through?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 09:05PM by sungod3k.
June 09, 2014 04:58AM
I would check this page and from there try this one, and put it in that same arduino sub-folder where avrdude.exe is located. Afaik, it should work and should give those options including usbasp programmer (i think on that page says it needs net framework 2.0, not sure). Or try another version from there. Or try any other avrdude gui programs from anywhere else, perhaps some other will work better for you. Keep an eye out for the "erase" option, perhaps not all have that in a distinct operation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 05:24AM by NoobMan.
June 09, 2014 05:35AM
sungod3k
What do i need to do in order for the atmega1284p to show up in the config file?

I'll never understand why people look everywhere but into the RepRap wiki. It's there: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 09, 2014 06:33AM
Alright I found AVDUDESS 2.2 that has all the libraries. I still get the "cannot set sck period" error no matter what I try to read or write.
June 09, 2014 07:00AM
Check the connection and pinout.
June 09, 2014 08:52AM
I checked both orientations. When i plug it in the other way around he doesnt recognize an usb device.

I ordered a new chip, if that one makes trouble as well I report back smiling smiley
June 13, 2014 03:17PM
Alright Im back with the new chip.

I tried all the GUIs first but most of them dont support the ATMEGA1284p or I get the " cannot set sck period." error. Assuming I understand the function of sck period I would need to set it to 16mhz which AVRDUDESS isnt allowing me to because its not in the dropdown choices. Or is this an indication of another error?

With that I tried to do it with Arduiono. I tried it with libraries from maniacbugMighty, Optiboot and Gen7 which all results in the same sck error.

Then I tried it manually via command line with avrdude like its described in the GEN7 article. Here I cant get over the fact that avrdude doesnt want to recognize the 1284p in its library. I´ve seen codesnippets which appearently should add the 1284p to the conf but somehow manually writing in in the conf doesnt work or its the wrong code. Is there any way to import it correctly via command line?
June 13, 2014 03:31PM
If you install the Gen7 support correctly into arduino, from the link mr Traumflug provided, you will have Gen7 appear in the arduino menu for Board -> Gen7 with ATmega1284p... Just like in the picture on that page. And you select that, and the com port, and then click on the "Burn bootloader" which is in same menu. All from arduino gui. No need of an avrdude-gui anymore. The avrdude-gui i suggested before was only for the purpose of erasing the chip, and btw, if i am not mistaking, avrdudess gui does not provide erase, not sure though coz i dont use it.
June 13, 2014 04:08PM
I tried that first. I have the Gen7 options listed and chosen and still get

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x1f800
0x8f != 0xff

The friend I got the USBasp from said he had managed to burn a bootloader with it, so does that mean my board is more broken then I assumed?

Update:
Despite the errors I managed something that looked like an upload of the GEN7 bootloader and fusesetting. Now arduiona can upload a sketch but the upload timeouts after 3-4 minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 10:04PM by sungod3k.
June 14, 2014 01:49AM
Check it against this page and this page. All 5+ goggle answers to that error seem to indicate that ppls just plug the cable wrong way.
June 14, 2014 10:57AM
I have the 10 to 6 pin converter and tried both orientations.

Im trying to find another programmer to firmware upgrade my existing one and confirm this as source of the error.
June 14, 2014 12:32PM
You could open the source files for sanguino and also the source files for your programmer, and click on each pin individually and check all pin names/labels, just to make sure how they fit together.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login