Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mechanical or Optical end stop?

Posted by Rudbot 
Mechanical or Optical end stop?
May 27, 2014 04:26AM
Hi Guys

I'm about to order a DIY RAMPS1.4 kit, but have to choose between optical and mechanical end stops.
There is a wiki page on the topic, but the only conclusion I can make out of it is that mechanical end stops can start failing when it gets old, but it seems that it takes a loooong time for that to happen. Optical is more complex and expensive, so why would you go for that option? There seems to be surprisingly little discussion on this topic, is it because most people just go for the simpler, mechanical end stop?
At the same time I've seen one or two post of people struggling to replace their mechanical end stop with an optical one on the Z axis specifically.
So it seems there is some motivation to use Optical at least in the Z axis?

Thanks in advance
Rudolph
Re: Mechanical or Optical end stop?
May 27, 2014 07:20AM
Long ongoing debate. There's simply no clear winner. As a perfectionist I always used optical ones so far. Even while there are reports about them failing in direct sunlight.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 28, 2014 04:36AM
Ok, thanks. I'll go for the simplest solution for now.
May 28, 2014 05:08AM
I use magnetic reed switches - seems almost impossible to fail, at least in all the years I have used them.

May 28, 2014 03:19PM
waitaki
I use magnetic reed switches - seems almost impossible to fail, at least in all the years I have used them.
Done properly mechancial switches, optical, reed, or hall effect all are next to impossible to fail, that is until they do. Each type has their advantages and disadvantages and for the typical reprap use I don't think any of them are vastly inferior or superior over the others as long as you know (and work around) any minor limitations.
May 28, 2014 07:20PM
waitaki

Funny you say that, because my home alarm repair person has been changing out one or more defective magnetic reed switches every month lately. Even the ones on windows that only open a few times per year have failed after 4-5 years. I'll take my chances with mechanical switches.....
May 29, 2014 03:25PM
vreihen
I'll take my chances with mechanical switches.....
Ironically, a reed switch IS a mechancial switch since they consist of moving parts connecting and disconnecting. The difference is just what is exerting the force to cause them to make the connection.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login