Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

makerbot Stepper Motor Driver 2.3 HELP!!

Posted by oly 
oly
makerbot Stepper Motor Driver 2.3 HELP!!
February 03, 2010 06:24AM
okay, i have tried all sorts curently i have the motherboard and the 3 stepper driver working in that the led on the boards all light up, how ever i have been unable to get anything out of the stepper driver.

I have tried the steps on the wiki about trying with out the motherboard (and found out that currently they are not valid anymore)
Also tried with the motherboard attached and the replicatorg software hitting the +x and +y etc buttons i have tried all boards in all sockets on the motherboard and tried changing the cable, not one of them will nudge my motor.
I have also tried hooking up a multimeter to pin A and B on the stepper boards to try and register a current but nothing.

surely i have not broken them i have been very carefull and made sure i switch of the motherboard before disonecting anything.

Also if i turn the motor by hand all 4 leds light up.

I have read some things about dry joins and bad solder which i hope this is not the case as that would defeat the point in getting pre built.
And what the likely hood this would effect all 3 boards ??

Looking for recommendations on what to try next is there a way to test the stepper board on its own ??
whats the testpoint 1 connector how can i use that ??

Any other suggestions on what to check or where to look.
Re: makerbot Stepper Motor Driver 2.3 HELP!!
February 03, 2010 07:48AM
Make sure you set the enable line to low. That was my problem when i experienced identical symptoms.
oly
February 03, 2010 08:20AM
can you explain this i have seen this mentioned a few times but with out any explanation of what the enable line is or what it looks like on the board ?
February 03, 2010 09:47AM
Check information on the wiki.

In my case it was the 2.3 drivers.

To get it working, I created the 10 pin cable, plugged it into the stepper, then plugged wires together as follows:
cable PIN 5 (ENABLE) to cable PIN 10. PIN 4 (DIR) to an output port on Arduino Mega. PIN 3 (STEP) to an output port on Arduino Mega (I picked the one that had on-board LED so I could verify my signal was toggling). PIN 9 to Arduino Mega GND pin.

I modified the 'blink' arduino sample as follows:
Added the 'DIR' pin output mode.
Initialized 'DIR' pin to 0.
In loop(), added a counter that toggled the DIR pin every 20 steps.
Reduced the delay to blink 10 times a second.

One issue I ran into was I had reversed my concept of what the pin numbers were; it took a bit of time to figure out exactly the right ordering, it would enable (lock the motor) but not step.. because I had actually plugged the step line into pin 7 (the MAX pin).
oly
February 03, 2010 10:01AM
cheers for that info i did wonder if it was pin5 and the one next to it, i will look up the connectors and try that later, as it might be slightly different as i do not have the ardino mega but have the makerbot motherboard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login