Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone own a working Panelolu2 for Sanguinololu who can help?

Posted by JNOD 
Anyone own a working Panelolu2 for Sanguinololu who can help?
March 02, 2014 04:32AM
Hi guys,

I just built a panelolu2 and am looking for some help with the solder jumpers. If someone has a working board, could they tell me how the jumpers are set on their board and which firmware they are using?

There are two sets of jumpers, a 4 way jumper on the main board and 2 off 3-way jumpers on the Sanguinololu breakout board.

To simplify, I will describe the easist orientation of looking at them below and then people can reply against that:

Panelolu2 - 4-way jumper; Assume the large chip is up to the right and the encoder up to the left, and the letters SJ1 are above. Lets call the furthest left pad, number 1 and the furthest right number 4. In this case, number one has a small via just off the left and pad 2 has one just underneath. Please tell me which pads are connected in your setup?

On the breakout board, assume the ribbon cable connector is up to the left and the writing SJ1 sits above the top jumper. In this case, lets call the top left pad SJ1-1 and the top right SJ1-3 and the bottom row are numbered SJ2-1 to SJ2-3. Hope this makes sense? Please tell me which pads are connected in your setup?

If anyone would like to explain the full operation of the jumper settings, that would be nice too, but what I really want is to know what works for a simple setup.

I appreciate that the jumpers are there to allow the encoder to be routed over IC2, assume I don't need this for now as I don't need to use any extra pins and I want it to work without modifying any firmware.

Oh, I should also mention, I usually use Sprinter, but switching to Marlin if that is required would not be a big problem for me.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Anyone own a working Panelolu2 for Sanguinololu who can help?
March 02, 2014 04:33AM
Maybe should have said, a photo would be nice smiling smiley
March 03, 2014 12:43PM
HI Jnod

Please check out the blog post here:

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

for an overview of the circuit and the use of the jumpers.

this blog post has a picture showing how the jumpers are to be set to use the Encoder directly:

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

All the Panelolu2s we supply should have had the jumpers preset for a direct connection - did yours come unsoldered?

Cheers

Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 12:44PM by T3P3.

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
March 03, 2014 02:13PM
Tony,

Thanks for your response, so far I had a quick look at the blogs, will have a full read later but want to reply quick.

From what I understand I want to solder the pads closest to the ribbon cable connector on the breakout board for normal operation (supported by standard firmware) correct? I note your diagram may be confusing as it is from above and the jumpers are underneath so when you flip the board over, it is opposite (I think). If I am right, you might want to edit you blog to put a warning up becuase first time I looked, I thought it was the otherway around, hence me checking back with you here.

Also, how about the jumper on the main board? You pic in the blog shows a 3 way jumper, is this an earlier version? My board has a 4-way jumper and says V0.2. Assuming my board is orientated like in your picture, with the jumper near the bottom and the sdcard to the left, with pads numbered 1-4 from left to right, could you please tell me which pads should be soldered together for a normal setup (using the direct connection if that is reccomended for easy use with firmware)?

Thanks in advance.
March 03, 2014 02:35PM
Hi JNOD

The picture on the blog for the adapter is correct, solder the pads closest to the 6x2 ribbon cable socket for a directly connected encoder.

You are right the newer version has a 4 point solder jumper, bridge the middle two for normal operation - did you board not come setup like that?

Cheers

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login