Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB not found on Motherboard v1.2

Posted by utra 
USB not found on Motherboard v1.2
December 12, 2009 03:32PM
hi,

I have just set up the Motherboard v1.2 and am trying to see if my circuit works.
I connect the USB to my computer using a AVRISP mkII. Arduino recognizes it but I get this error (I have my USB com checked, Sanguino checked, AVRISP mkII checked):

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

I went through all the instructions for this set up.
But when I want to burn bootloader it gives me the above error.

What is wrong here? my programmer? my code? my chip? my circuit?

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mahdi
Re: USB not found on Motherboard v1.2
December 13, 2009 11:05PM
Try using AVR Studio for burning the bootloader, as AVR studio handles many more programmers than the Arduino.
December 14, 2009 12:07AM
I already did, it recognizes the programmer, but cannot get to the atmega. It says the chip might not be powered.

If, for example, this is a circuitry issue (messed up my soldering and etc.)
Where should I look for the error? the atmega first?

Thanks,
Mahdi
December 19, 2009 04:57PM
Sorry if this is a simple question...but are there any lights on on your motherboard? I was using the USBtinyISP, and it has a jumper to supply 5V to the programming board. At first I did not have this connection bridged, so my motherboard was not getting power. The software would see the programmer, but not the motherboard. Once I closed this bridge with a jumper all was well.

If that doesn't work you can try to post a picture of your motherboard for us to inspect.
February 19, 2010 05:58PM
Thanks for the previous repply!

Unfortunately I still can't get it working. None of the LEDs on the motherboard have turned on so far.I also tried to burn the bootloader on the ATMEGA 168 (on the extruder) and ran into the same error. I tried using ASRIP mkii and AVR Dragon. Neither of them have yeilded the desired result so far.
Also, you mentioned that all was well once the motherboard was powered, but on the website: [dev.www.reprap.org] its says: "Before you start, make sure your motherboard is not hooked up to anything". I am going to be using ATX to supply power to my motherboard (because I am sticking to the makerbot configuration), so do you want me to plug it in before trying to burn the bootloader?
February 19, 2010 08:00PM
Do not plug in the power supply if you are programming the bootloader, or you may blow up the chip.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for your USB programmer?

I am using a sparkfun RS232RL breakout board, and its not causing any problems.
February 21, 2010 10:56AM
Hello utra,
I have used the AVRISP MKII, arduino, windows7 to successfully bootload the Atmega644p.
I have had the same issues with respect to arduino not finding the USB ports. This can be resolved by following the procedure in my blog (http://mariushermanbotha.wordpress.com)
You will have two problems to solve, before you can successfully bootload the CPU;
1. You need to uninstall the jungo usb device driver, by using avrstudio setup program, and choosing the "modify" option.
2. Then you will have to install libusb-win32. The Arduino software requires this driver.
3. Then you will need to do one of the following:
3.1. power your motherboard with external 5v
3.2. do the hardware mod of AVRISP MKII, as per my blog
The reason why step3 is required, is that the AVRISP MKII does not supply power to the target board.

At any rate, I hope you found this helpful.

Best Regards
Marius Botha
Pretoria, South Africa
[mariushermanbotha.wordpress.com]
February 22, 2010 12:50PM
Thank you very much. That explains the situation. The only thing is that I prefer not to modify the AVRISP as I am borrowing it from someone. Instead you mentioned I could power my motherboard externally for which can I just plug in the ATX supply as it is designed to supply 5VSB(pin 9) to the mother board?

Also if modification is a better option, do I have to install an on/off switch or can I do without it? i.e. just connect the wire from the LED to pin 2 on the ICSP.
February 23, 2010 01:26AM
Hello utra,

with regard to VSB power on the board, julie aka sheep, has been kind enough to point out the various power nets on the board, to me. I have not tried external power supply, but yes I think supplying it via ATX header should work.

With respect to AVRISP MKII modification: I made my mod w/o the switch. What I did notice, is that the LED only changes from flashing orange to green AFTER the bootloading process has been completed. Not sure if that is peculiar to my setup, or not. I know the mod does work, since the Arduino software reported everything went A-OK, and I also managed to successfully program my board last night (!), which means the bootloading was ultimately successful.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.
Marius Botha
Pretoria, South Africa
[mariushermanbotha.wordpress.com]
February 23, 2010 05:36PM
Thanks for the guidelines that really helped. I did the H/W modifications to the AVRISP MKII as per your blog. I was also able to uninstall Jungo through control panel and I have installed the LIBUSB win-32 on my Vista 64bit by following the guidelines on this tutorial: [www.youtube.com] but I wasn't able to force my laptop to use this driver for some reason. So I tried burning with the Jingo on a xp computer (after two days of unfruitful attempts sad smiley) Fortunately I was able to burn the bootloader on the extruder. But when I tried the same on the motherboard I ran into a new error message this time:

"Expected signature for ATMEGA644P is 1E 96 OA
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check"

I was wondering what that means?
FYI: when I attached the pcbs, both the leds on the programmer turned green. Also the Leds on the extruder were flashing as described on the reprap website: [dev.www.reprap.org]

Thank you so much for your guidelines. Your time and patience is much appreciated.
February 23, 2010 06:49PM
which bootloader did you burn? the arduino one doesn't return chip IDs (requiring avrdude to be forced), so I switched mine to adaboot which works fine

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login