Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which controller?

Posted by nalby 
Which controller?
February 16, 2014 04:55PM
Hi i've had a printrbot simple for a while and have gotten the itch to build my own printer. I've chosen the OB1.4. it's a variation of a mendel prism. just about have all the parts I need except for the control board, I was wondering if someone could recommend one for me.
I plan on running duel extruders. Since I might go bigger in the future i'd like to get a board that I could use later. Should I stick with the audrino boards or wait for a smoothie bord to come back in stock again.

Thanks Jim
Re: Which controller?
February 18, 2014 07:41AM
personally i dont like all on one solutions. One silly mistake and the entire board is junk. I would recommend something with plug in drivers like a ramps. I like the look of the rumba board but havent got one yet.
February 18, 2014 09:21AM
I chose RAMPS for my first board exactly the reason lazzymonk points out. One mistake and you get to replace everything. Maybe for a subsequent build I'd chose a different board, but I like having at least the stepper drivers as separate modules. The only thing I don't like about the ramps is all the header pin connectors. I would have preferred edge connectors for a cleaner, flatter electronics. Screw terminals would also be better than just header pins for lasting, tight connections.
February 18, 2014 10:12AM
Thanks, I went with a ramps 1.4 for just those reasons. Also technology is changing so fast it might be good to wait a while to see what comes out next. So I picked up the low cost ramps to get going for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login