Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Supply questions

Posted by Curlrup 
Power Supply questions
November 10, 2009 09:59PM
Well I have all of my parts and and all of my electronics. I need to get soldering. I ordered all of my electronics from Makerbot. I am using their power supply, I am confused as heck as to what goes where and what needs to be added for power to all of the boards. All I see is a mess of wires. Thanks

Curly
Re: Power Supply questions
November 10, 2009 11:09PM
Basically, plug the big ATX connector into the motherboard, the molex 4 pin connectors into each stepper driver, and you're done. The extruder board uses 6 of the 8 wires in the ethernet cable to run 12 V power up to it, so you don't have to do anything there.

On my new Darwin, I bolted all the boards to a piece of plywood mounted to the lower frame, with the power supply. Ideally I wanted the fan on the power supply to blow across the stepper drivers, but the wires weren't long enough, and they don't get hot enough to warrant it anyway. Here's a blurry cell phone shot:

[gallery.me.com]

Enjoy!

Wade
Re: Power Supply questions
November 11, 2009 12:04AM
Wade Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Basically, plug the big ATX connector into the
> motherboard, the molex 4 pin connectors into each
> stepper driver, and you're done. The extruder
> board uses 6 of the 8 wires in the ethernet cable
> to run 12 V power up to it, so you don't have to
> do anything there.
>
> On my new Darwin, I bolted all the boards to a
> piece of plywood mounted to the lower frame, with
> the power supply. Ideally I wanted the fan on the
> power supply to blow across the stepper drivers,
> but the wires weren't long enough, and they don't
> get hot enough to warrant it anyway. Here's a
> blurry cell phone shot:
>
> [gallery.me.com]
> almost%20full&bgcolor=black
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Wade

Ok I see...I got impatient and well I have put myself under a deadline and I decided I needed to learn something so I ordered Gen 2 electronics from Makerbot running and Arduino Mega since they had those in stock. Which means I have a lot of soldering ahead of me. So I have no mother board really and the Arduino runs off the USB power. See my confusion. My hardware is at work where the Darwin is being assembled so I can't look at the plugs now. Thanks for the pic!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login