Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Controller 2.2 Bootloader problem

Posted by Jeff B 
Extruder Controller 2.2 Bootloader problem
November 08, 2009 09:14AM
So I used a USB plug (the ones from inside the computer that hook up to the motherboard) as connectors to burn a boot loader.

I used: [exmrclean.blogspot.com] as my source

I changed everything from m644p to m168

But I think I messed up when I ran these commands:

avrdude -c ft232u -P ft0 -p m168 -U flash:w:ATmegaBOOT_644.hex:i

avrdude -c ft232u -P ft0 -p m168 -B 4800 -U lock:w:0x3F:m -U efuse:w:0xFD:m

avrdude -c ft232u -P ft0 -p m168 -B 4800 -U hfuse:w:0xDC:m

avrdude -c ft232u -P ft0 -p m68 -B 4800 -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U lock:w:0x0F:m

The bootloader loaded on fine everything worked without errors.

I then went to load blink onto the chip and it worked!
But when I would try to upload anything else it would not. So I tried reuploading the bootloader, and uploading a new sketch. This would work aswell.

This loading the bootloader then uploading the sketch combo worked 3 times now I cant upload a sketch no matter what, the Debug led just flashes really fast

I know nothing about chips, but i have a feeling that the fuse(s) or what ever they are have the wrong bits, But I cant even get the serjtag software to even connect.

When it is supposed to say "ft245r: bitclk 4800 -> ft baud 2400
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions" it says unable to connect check your connections.

Should I just go ahead and buy the bootloader? is that my problem?

Any advice is appreciated.
Re: Extruder Controller 2.2 Bootloader problem
November 08, 2009 12:48PM
You should not have had to load the boot strap mulitple times. Also the bootstrap code needs to be compiled for your processor, so it looks like you uploaded the wrong bootstrap code.

The fuzes also vary between the processors, so you need to find a AVRdude example for your chip to get the correct fuze settings. Not something that I had to do since I was targeting the ATmega644P chip that is used in the Sanguino.

The orginal link that I adapted my proceedure from delt with a 168 chip and listed fuze settings and the name of the boot strap file ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex.

[www.geocities.jp]

Not sure if you have done your chip in, though I have read somewhere about using a high voltage method to reset fuzes. Did you vary the enviorment I.E. no board power the first three times and then left the board powered up the other times?

The programming cable provides power to the chip so when programming the board should be un-powered.

There are two basic processors in use with generation 2 & 3 electronics. The Sanguino for the main motherboard and Arduino Diecimila which is on the slave extruder controller.

So it looks like this would have worked for you if had used the correct input values. From your post you were trying to program the extruder controller?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 01:20PM by freds.
November 08, 2009 08:46PM
I actually uploaded the ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex, it seams I just copied and pasted the incorrect prompt on the first post.

Before the board stopped accepting anything I rewrote the fuse bits, using values from this link: [www.geocities.jp].
I was going to do the lock one last and when I tried that one, avrdude could no longer communicate. To write the fuse bits I used the same commands in the first post but changed to the correct values.

Any more info on the high voltage fuse reset?

All attempts were done with only the cable for the bootloader hooked up.

I was trying to program the extruder controller.

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to these things (microprocessors) so any help or tips is greatly appreciated, please dont assume that I have tried something.

Error I get in avrdude:
avrdude.exe: BitBang OK
avrdude.exe: pin assign miso 3 sck 5 mosi 6 reset 7
avrdude.exe: drain OK

ft245r: bitclk 4800 -> ft baud 2400
avrdude.exe: ft245r_program_enable: failed
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

I have checked connections multiple times

if I do -F i get

avrdude.exe: BitBang OK
avrdude.exe: pin assign miso 3 sck 5 mosi 6 reset 7
avrdude.exe: drain OK

ft245r: bitclk 4800 -> ft baud 2400
avrdude.exe: ft245r_program_enable: failed
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0xffffff
avrdude.exe: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06
avrdude.exe: reading input file "0xDD"
avrdude.exe: writing hfuse (1 bytes):

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 09:17PM by Jeff B.
November 08, 2009 11:03PM
Hi Jeff

You are into an area of detail that I am not familure with as I got my commands to execute from another post. One

From your current post it does looks like it not talking via the SPI interface so one possiblity is that you have simply disabled the SPI programming interface and that the bootstrap is still there.

What kind of behaviour are you getting on the LED on a reset?

Some possible links that might help:

[support.atmel.no]
[www.mightyohm.com]
[www.societyofrobots.com]
[www.mightyohm.com]

Though at this point to me it looks like new chip time might be your most practical route and to check with Makerbot for the correct fuzes to use on the next chip. (Please post your end results)
November 08, 2009 11:33PM
The LED when the board is powered on blinks so fast that it almost looks like it on constant, then slowly starts to blink 2 or 3 times a second, after a few min it just goes solid. Reset button does nothing.

Im going to look at the links you supplied.

with rudimentary soldering skills I doubt I can solder a new smd chip on the extruder board, buying a new chip would mean an entire board. Id like to stay away from that.
November 09, 2009 02:37AM
I was having a similar problem, using the USB to TTL converter from Adafruit here:
[www.adafruit.com]

and the same exmrclean process Jeff was using to burn the bootloader.

The debug light on the extruder controller would blink a couple of times, then stay solid. Avrdude kept giving me rc=-1. Reset button did nothing.

I traced it to a 20ohm short between VCC and GND on the extruder board. Can't seem to find where that might be from, but I did find that C14 and the A6 header seem to short out on the non-ground side (near the silkscreen for C14 and the middle pin for A6). The eagle file from subversion seems to have a stray trace that's not supposed to be connected there.

I've sent an email to makerbot, I hope all I have to do is cut that trace to make it work. Jeff, does your board seem to have a similar connection?
November 09, 2009 10:08AM
I will have to take a look a litle later.

C12 and R1 are missing from the board.

Seams that c12 has something to do with the timing crystal, could this be part of my problems?

I believe R1 is optional

Also my board is green, all the boards that I have seen are red, it does say v2.2 on it though

I checked for a short between pins 1 and 2 on the i2c header (vcc and ground) no open short, the resistance seams to measure in the 4k to 5k range.

I also checked for continuity between the specified cap and header, no short that I can tell.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 10:31AM by Jeff B.
November 09, 2009 12:36PM
Hi Jeff

I am a little puzzled as to why you were able to load the bootloader three times and then after that unable to make it work.

Did you execute the same fuze commands on each load?

For removing the chip there is a special Desoldering solder "Chip Quick".

[www.curiousinventor.com]

Another approach is simply use a dremel tool (very, very carefully) to cut the leads off of the chip and then remove the left behind pins with flux and solder wick before soldering on the new chip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login