Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Controller 2.2 problem

Posted by Jeff B 
Extruder Controller 2.2 problem
November 03, 2009 09:18PM
As some of you may have seen in the software forum that I am having some trouble with my pre assembled extruder controller from makerbot.

Heres the problem: I can not upload firmware on it at all no matter what timing I try with the reset button nothing works I always get this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x48
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x48

I know this error means that the board isnt syncing with the Arduino Software and that.

I can use the same computer to do the firmware on the motherboard
I have selected the correct settings port, board, ive checked the port settings.
The board has no wires connected to it but the ttl cable

On the board itself when I hit the reset button should the debug led flash as it does on the motherboard?

Also R1 is missing theres balls of solder on the points but no solder, I read in the documentation that one extruder should have that, I only have one extruder. should I add a resistor there?

btw I do not have a programmer for burning a bootloader, as the board was supposed to ship with one.
Re: Extruder Controller 2.2 problem
November 03, 2009 11:01PM
Hi

I have seen Makerbot be hit or miss on shipping with the boot straploader loaded onto the chip. Since they are a startup company it's totally understandable.

The other thing is it's kind of a timming problem to get the boot strap loader to work correctly. My laptop used to be real reliable now it is extreamly hit or miss, I have to watch the disk activity light and when it starts to slow down on the compile I mash the reset button.

To tell if you have the boot strap loader on your processor, reset it. It should slow blink a couple of times followed by some rapid blinks. If it is actually loading then you get a whole series of rapid dim blinks.

If you do not have the boot strap loader on your chip you can use your TTL cable to program it. Instructions are in the link below:

[exmrclean.blogspot.com]
November 03, 2009 11:17PM
Well it doesnt blink so I guess it doesnt have a bootloader on it, which is irritating since i dont have any connectors to do what you showed in the link.

I even looked into using a second arduino to do the bootloader, but still the connector problem.

Even for a startup this is a very inconveniencing/irritating problem, I guess ill try to contact them...

Thanks for the help.
November 05, 2009 01:00AM
I made my adapter cable by running an old PC IDE hard disk cable though a band saw which took care of the PCB board side. (I have bunchs of them laying around since each hard drive I brought over the years cames with a spare.)

For the mating connector to the USB TTL adapter I took individual pins for a DB-25 male connector and after inserting them into the USB TTL plug I then hot glued the whole mess together along with a label I printed out in Word.

I have seen others take two three pin connectors and glue them together to get the necessary six pin connector for the PCB board side.
November 05, 2009 10:28AM
I may give that a try, thanks for the tip.
jing
November 30, 2009 07:01PM
Jeff- Did you ever solve the problem? I'm in exactly the same position... I loaded the USB connector to the Replicator G folder: Drivers, but it tells me there is a sync problem.

I contacted Makerbot and they told me to search on the internet. I've looked at all the forums and none seems conclusive. I agree - they are a start up company but it still shouldnt be this frustrating ! Any help much appreciated.
November 30, 2009 11:17PM
It ended up not having a bootloader on it, I then messed it up bu trying to load one on it, I ended up ordering a new one.
January 12, 2011 09:11AM
Only the "a" out put on my fully assembled extruder controller v2.2 work? The outputs "b" and "c" are dead. The software settings are correct. I would like to get my heated platform going along with the extruder. Any ideas why these outputs are dead?
January 14, 2011 03:39AM
@ Mitch:
for testing purposes, if you have MB and EC connected, startup and run the software, and play with "fan" and "heater" options, and you should see the respectively leds lighting up on B and C. You also can put a thermistor leads directly into thermistor connector and you should get some temperature reading, etc. Welcome and good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login