Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arduino Firmware Problem

Posted by drummerboyx 
Arduino Firmware Problem
October 25, 2009 04:38PM
Hello,
I have an Arduino, PWM driver, motor driver and power supply. I individually tested each driver board with the Arduino and they all work fine. I downloaded the experimental GCode interpreter firmware for the Arduino, and then uploaded it on to it without any errors. When I opened the RepRap Host Sofware, it indicated the temperature correctly, but when I tried to extrude or turn on the heater, nothing happened. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I NEED HELP!!!

Thanks
Drummerboyx
Re: Arduino Firmware Problem
October 27, 2009 07:50AM
I hear your pain.
I have exactly the same problem.
I am guessing that the new code runs the new wiz bang extruder.
Not the old fashion one. I have both and will see what I can do.

Stay tuned .....

I think the reprap has become a victim of it's own success.
It is evolving so quickly no one knows which bits work with what.
unless it's the latest of the latest.

Maybe we need a matrix of what has been tested an is known to work.

Reprap type, (darwin)
Firmware, (snap)
frimware compiler, (v11)
electronics, (gen 2)
PC software, (???)
Java version (1.5)
Operating system, (linux )

Regards

Stephen
October 27, 2009 11:48AM
What version of the firmware did you download? I've used this: [reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]

The pin assignments for an Arduino are setup for a DC motor drive for the extruder. The important value is EXTRUDER_0_STEP_ENABLE_PIN. If this is set to -1, you get DC motor drive, if it is set to a non-negative number you get stepper drive.

If you have a stepper drive then you will have to change the pin assignments. In my experience, the interrupts for the stepper drive do not work on the Arudino and just crash the microcontroller.

The DC drive also has a bug and has never worked without modification. Look at the first three comments in this thread: [dev.forums.reprap.org]

I've managed to get the stepper control for the extruder working on my system with some modification. Let me know if that is what you are using and I'll post more details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 11:51AM by mccoyn.
October 27, 2009 03:31PM
I tried using the same firmware, but it never compiled. It always said: could not find perameter.h or any of the dot H files. So I found another version called GCode interpreter experimental. Maybe I have to use the other firmware. If you could tell me in more detail how you set that firmware up, that might solve my problem.

Thanks
Drummerboyx
October 27, 2009 03:41PM
You have to rename all the files that end with ".h.dist" to ".h" and then reopen the project.

I also had to go into pins.h and make sure all the pins were assigned correctly (in the Arduino section, not the Sanguino section at the top). I had to go into parameters.h and put a comment on the "#define SANGUINO" line so that it was "//#define SANGUINO"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 03:44PM by mccoyn.
October 27, 2009 07:09PM
Thank you! I will try that and see if I can get it to work. Also, I have 1 unipolar motor with 5 leads, how can I wire that up like a bipolar motor with 4 leads?

Thanks again,
Drummerboyx
October 27, 2009 08:31PM
Just tried it. AND IT WORKS! I got it to drive the stepper pretty good. I haven't tried the extruder pwm or dc drivers yet though. I'll keep you updated.
Also, when I go to the pins section the pin #s go higher than the highest digital pin on my arduino. What is that for?

Thanks!
Drummerboyx
October 27, 2009 08:40PM
Digital 14 through 19 share pins with analog 0 through 5. So, when something is wired to pin 15, subtract 14 from that and connect it to analog 1.

I don't have a lot of experience with steppers. You might get some useful advice if you create a new thread dedicated to that issue to get some attention to it.
October 28, 2009 06:44AM
Great! I'll post a new thread somewhere else.
October 29, 2009 07:00AM
I have not touched my arduino or Sanguino in a long long time due to playing with CNC and solar systems.

I still have arduino 11, 12 and 13 installed what version is the curent working /recomended version for the Gen3 electronics?

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
October 29, 2009 07:56AM
I'm using 15 for Gen 2
October 31, 2009 10:51PM
I would recomend arduino 17. It worked fine.
November 02, 2009 12:40AM
I still can't get my extruder motor to work via the reprap console using 20090804 reprap host with gen 2 dc motor.

However if I access the firmware directly and pump in

M108 S100

ok

M101

ok

// The dc motor now comes on

M102

ok

// the dc motor now goes into reverse

M103

ok

// the motor stops

So the hardware and firm ware checks out. Any ideas?

I put comms debug on the host software and it seems to be sending

comms: G-code: G1 F3000.0 dequeued and sent [506.777s/1ms]
comms: GCode acknowledged [506.808s/31ms]
comms: G-code: G1 E1250.0 dequeued and sent [506.809s/1ms]
comms: GCode acknowledged [506.840s/31ms]
comms: G-code: G1 F1500.0 dequeued and sent [506.841s/1ms]

Anyone know what they mean?

// all my info at the moment comes from
[reprap.org]

regards

Stephen
November 02, 2009 12:47AM
It looks like your host software is configured for a 5D firmware, but your firmware isn't 5D. In the host preferences, find the FiveD option and set it to false.
November 02, 2009 01:51AM
oh my god it works.

Who would guess that setting fived to false could bring me so much joy.

Mccoyn I owe you a big sloppy kiss

Stephen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login