Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

COnfused as heck on Electronics for my RepRap

Posted by Curlrup 
COnfused as heck on Electronics for my RepRap
September 28, 2009 11:23AM
There are so many options out there, I need to know what electronics option for my Darwin is going to be the best? I am someone who has basic circut knowledge and can solder componenets but I know little to nothing about coding or controlers for stepper motors. Any suggestions? Thanks

Curly
Re: COnfused as heck on Electronics for my RepRap
September 28, 2009 02:39PM
Order the generation III hardware from www.makerbot.com as the boards now come mostly assembled.
September 28, 2009 03:03PM
Kinda hard to get the Gen 3 electronics i think... I've been monitoring makerbots store for some weeks (months even?) now, and it seems like something is always out of stock. (Or am i that unlucky?) The V2.3 Stepper Driver seem to be the biggest problem to get a hand on...

Would be nice if they had the full Gen 3 DIY electronics kit back in stock.
September 28, 2009 03:12PM
Yep I saw that kit and thought awesome my problems are solved and then I saw the out of stock listing and figured that would not be remedied anytime soon. So if I did not have the kit option what would be my best option? Also is there another cheaper stepper motor? Thansk for the help folks I apprciate it.
September 28, 2009 04:55PM
Here's a video presentation by one of the founders of MakerBot "Bre Pettis" that is interesting to watch. Seems to be fairly recent.

[www.youtube.com]

It looks like they are doing their production run of the cupcake in batches so before they ship their next batch they have to get back into stock. Ahh the joys of a startup and shipping products.

They say that the entire kit is out of stock with a fill date of the 30th and if you look at the fully assembled electronics page the motherboard seems to be the one they are out of stock on at the moment. I have been watching their site and various items are changing from out of stock to in stock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 05:10PM by freds.
September 28, 2009 08:28PM
Thanks for the link. I will keep checking and order what I can when I can.
September 28, 2009 09:05PM
I bought the individual PCBs and all the components from Mouser and DigiKey. going to solder everything this week. Hoping to use the Extruder Controller Driver as a Substitute for the Stepper Driver board.

You might try your hand a SMT before you rule it out. Its not that hard.
September 29, 2009 02:57AM
If they are batch shipping it is worth considering putting an order in and waiting for the backorder.

When folk are batch shipping/ordering in they are most likely to use the back order tally to influence how much they buy in at a time.

Cheers

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login