Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the name of these connector type

Posted by Yamster 
What is the name of these connector type
July 02, 2013 02:28AM
Hello,

I am in process of building my first 3D printer, and I'm getting close to the completion. Yes!

Today, after connecting all the motors and other sensors to RAMPS... man, I realized that there are so many dangling cables and wires... and it looks very messy.

I understand some of them has to be kept loose, e.g. wires for extruder and X motor since they have to move up/down and left/right, but there are some wires which I want to shorten and anchor to the printer frame, like wires for Y and Z motor as these motors stay in position.

Well, I don't want to cut the wires in the middle and reconnect (probably by twisting exposed coppers from each side and wrapping some black tapes around?). I want to install(?) a new connector to the new end... and it didn't take me long to realize that it's really hard to find a proper tools and parts for something which I don't even know a name of...

There are two types of connectors in my kit.. black and white.. sad smiley Again, I don't know how to call them otherwise.

The black connector is thinner/flatter, while the white one has some ridges on one side (probably to make sure the connection is made in correct orientation). However, the distance between each hole/pin seems to be the same, or at least close enough for them to be interchangeable (given that there's enough space to allow a thicker white connector to be pushed in).

When I take the pins out however, the pins from the black connector seem a little thinner, and does not have a latch/hook which the white pins have.

Oh well, I am pretty sure I got you lost with my miserable description of these connectors... so, I am attaching a couple of picture; one picture for each connector type and a pin taken out.

Can someone tell me what is the name of these connectors, connector types, and pins? Also, if you can kindly tell me where I can buy the pins and crimping tools, that will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Attachments:
open | download - 2013-07-01 23.49.35.jpg (472.9 KB)
open | download - 2013-07-01 23.50.13.jpg (515.9 KB)
Re: What is the name of these connector type
July 02, 2013 03:44AM
The white one is a 0.1" Molex , the black one is also 0.1" try searching for 720 crimp series, for the crimps and black plug. Both types will fit each other's sockets in most cases.
July 02, 2013 04:40AM
Farnell and RS Components are good places to look.
July 02, 2013 05:08AM
Try this:

MOLEX - 63811-1000 - CRIMP TOOL
[uk.farnell.com]

Crimp term,22-30AWG,unplated,reel
[uk.rs-online.com]

FUJITSU - FCN723JAUQ - CRIMP SOCKET, PK100
[uk.farnell.com]

You won't need new housings, all crimps can be removed by hand, the white ones - push the barb back into the crimp, freeing it from the housing.

the black one - using a stanly blade or pin, lift the little catch that mates with the crimp and carefully pull it out of the housing.

Hope that helps!!
July 02, 2013 06:13AM
Better info for the black connectors.............

Product Information

CRIMP HOUSING, 1 ROW, 4 WAY
Connector Type: Wire to Board
Series: -
Contact Termination: Crimp
No. of Contacts: 4
No. of Rows: 1
Pitch Spacing: 2.54mm
Contact Plating: Gold
Contact Material: Phosphor Bronze
Contact Resistance: 20mohm
Current Rating: 3A
Flammability Rating: UL94V-0
Insulation Resistance: 1000Mohm
Lead Spacing: 2.54mm
Operating Temperature Max: 105°C
Operating Temperature Min: -25°C
Termination Method: Crimp
Voltage Rating V AC: 250V
Wire Size AWG Max: 24AWG
Wire Size AWG Min: 28AWG
Withstand Voltage: 600V

MULTICOMP - 2226TG - CRIMP TERMINAL, 24-28AWG
[uk.farnell.com]

MULTICOMP - 2226A-04 - CRIMP HOUSING, 1 ROW, 4 WAY
[uk.farnell.com]
July 03, 2013 11:58AM
These are MOLEX

SL Series connectors

http://www.molex.com/catalog/web_catalog/pdfs/C.pdf

You can find them from a number of suppliers.

I'm in Canada, and ordered my pins/housings/hand crimp tool from Newark

Parts were pennies, and the hand crimp tool was ~$35

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 12:02PM by ShadowRam.
July 04, 2013 01:16AM
Thank you guys for your replies. Yes, I was able to find the parts and crimping tool from Newark, and have ordered them yesterday.

I guess I was looking for these parts at a wrong place (Amazon). I was a little overwhelmed by the number of choices and variety of (similar) parts offered by Newark, but I was able to narrow down my search quickly (now that I know what these are called - thanks again!), and it didn't take me long to find the exact parts I was looking for, either, as they offered detailed production descriptions and measurements/dimensions in PDF for all the parts they carry. Their shipping is super fast, too.

Have a nice day!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login