Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD 8825 in parallel

Posted by tsaG 
SD 8825 in parallel
June 04, 2013 03:25AM
Hi,
Im using two big motors (2,5A each) on my X-Axis. So, is it possible to connect two Stepperdrivers in parallel? I already soldered it but Im to afraid to test it since I only got one spare Driver grinning smiley

What did I do? I connected all Digital pins parallel, cut of the Motor outputs a litle bit and soldered it directly to the PCB

regards

Patrick
Attachments:
open | download - Foto.JPG (106.1 KB)
Re: SD 8825 in parallel
June 04, 2013 03:09PM
All the theory that I know says that linking two or more chopper type drivers to drive one motor will not work, so I am not inclined to even try it, although there is a school of thought that says "we won't know for sure until someone tried it". However, in your photo it appears you have not connected the motor outputs of both drivers, so only one driver will be driving the motor anyway.

I think larger motors require a larger driver, but fortunately there are many available for CNC type applications at reasonable cost which are suitable. If there was a Reprap FAQ, this would be a good question for it.
June 04, 2013 04:18PM
I assume he's trying to drive 2 motors from one set of step/dir/en signals, so the motor outputs would go to separate motors.
In which case it AFAICS ought to be fine, you're just splitting the logic signals.

My blog [3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]
June 04, 2013 07:03PM
Oh, that makes more sense. It is actually quite ingenious smileys with beer

I might have to try designing a stackable stepper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login