Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why only stepstick and pololu stepper driver?

Posted by victorjung 
Why only stepstick and pololu stepper driver?
May 20, 2013 09:41AM
I, i am new to reprap, and i am thinking about building my own. so i read a lot of wiki pages, but something is disturbing me...
Why everyboards are always made to be used with stepstick and pololu stepper drivers? they are expensive (my opinion) and hardly drive 2A current...
Why was l298 abandoned (stepper motor driver 1.2) ? i just saw that some people are doing attempt with TB6560 it seems interresting... why are there so few solutions?
Victor jung
Re: Why only stepstick and pololu stepper driver?
May 20, 2013 10:42AM
We only need about 1A and without micro stepping reprap machines are very noisy. I don't know if there are an cheaper microstepping drivers than a stepstick.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 20, 2013 11:18AM
TB6560 has a much big footprint, not SMD friendly, yet it can only drive 3A.
When you need more than 2.5A that A3977 suoports, most likely you need a much bigger one instead of #A.

TB6560 also need a big heatsink to drive at 3A contiuously, in this sense it has no difference from A3977.
May 20, 2013 11:21AM
L297/298 has no microstepping, and much much bigger footprint and needs even more passive component, not SMD friendly.
May 20, 2013 11:31AM
I think the biggest reason is resolution. Without microstepping you are looking at 5 to 10 steps per mm in X and Y which is just barely adequate. With microstepping the picture is much better. Add in the noise, and it's a pretty easy decision to use microstepping drivers.
May 20, 2013 11:53AM
thanks for your answers, the thing i find that smd isn't diy friendly, that's why i like big footprint!
May 20, 2013 11:54AM
That and cost are the reasons for Sanguish.
May 20, 2013 12:39PM
I actually like SMD much more. IMHO, hand soldering SMD resistor/cap is more enjoyable than the through hole version - IC might need more practice. With stencil and solder paste, handling SMD is actually like a snap of finger...
May 21, 2013 05:09AM
are now extruders drive like other steppers with a normal motor driver like stepstick or others?
May 21, 2013 07:10AM
yes it is.
May 27, 2013 10:38AM
where can i find the eagle files for sanguish?
May 28, 2013 04:16PM
Sanguish was done in GEDA so no eagle files. I'll post the beta board files on the wiki page as soon as I get home (unless I forget again) , but until version 1.0 comes out I would prefer that you just buy a board from me as I am currently trying to sell my initial batch of beta boards and get some field testing done. Once Version 1.0 is out I'll publish the updated files, gerbers, etc. and tips on how to order boards, my component suppliers, etc. At that point please feel free to get some made, sell kits, etc.
May 29, 2013 01:09AM
right now i am working in beijing so getting the board shipped here would be expensive. It would be easiler for me to build the board... smiling smiley

thanks anyways

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2013 02:11AM by ekaggrat.
May 29, 2013 12:58PM
No problem. The files for the beta boad are up on the Sanguish wiki so you could build it that way if you want. There is a list of stuff to be done to get the beta revised for version 1.0. I'll be working on that in the next few weeks. Shipping is $12 by USPS so the total would be $52 shipped if you want to try a beta board. That would be for a fully assembled board. If you have access to the parts I could just ship the board and it would likely be much cheaper. Anyway it's totaly up to you. Thanks for the interest in my design.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login