Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What drivers to use with 42BYGHW811 Steppers motors

Posted by umpahpah 
What drivers to use with 42BYGHW811 Steppers motors
May 18, 2013 10:55AM
Hi everyone

I have 42BYGHW811 Steppers motors and and RAMPS 1.4 spec for motors is: 2.5 Amp and 3.1V what stepper drivers I should use. I have 5 EasyDriver Boards but I don't see how I can use them because those drivers go only up to 0.750Amps If I buy polulu stepsticks they go up to 2.0Amps and motors are 2.5Amps. And what PSU voltage to use??

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Re: What drivers to use with 42BYGHW811 Steppers motors
May 18, 2013 11:36AM
Max current is the only thing that matter. "Voltage" of the motor is that the current you will get when you apply that voltage blindly - which doesn't matter when we are using drivers like polulu which limit the max current.

Your motor accept higher driving current, that's fine. (It will be a problem if the motor rated "voltage" is higher than your input voltage because that mean you could never get to the rated current)

Apply 12V, set polulu to 2.0A and you will be fine.

EasyDriver is fine too, but you can only get 0.75A - which is a bit far from the rated current of the motor - it might end up not working well besides an reduced output power, which affect torque/max speed.
May 19, 2013 02:09PM
Thanks, Sam0737

Now i am not worried about burning more driver boards like I did with other driver board that had no current protection,
2 sec after I connected stepper motor there was a lot of smoke.
and then I found how to set current limit here is the link if anyone need it.
Pololu drivers current limit configuration
May 20, 2013 02:06PM
Do yourself a favor and get a DRV8825 based chip. They work just like A4988's but offer more current.

[www.pololu.com]
or
[www.panucatt.com]

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
May 20, 2013 02:58PM
you do not necessarily need to run your motor up to 2.5 amp for them to work with your printer yours are the same as mine when i get them and the wiki say 19.4 ozf-in for your axis, 56.64 ozf-in for extruder, ours our 70 ozf-in so basically you can still under run them read through this thread and i had the same question how i would run theseramps question
May 20, 2013 08:23PM
what's the IC of "the other driver" that smoked?
May 23, 2013 12:11PM
i measured the pot to ground and set it to 0.300amps and powered this motor no smoke and was pleased with my 1st attempt but once they go on printer and have a fan on the drivers, maybe try 1amp but don't want go stupid just to test it
May 24, 2013 09:07PM
The IC was L293D. It is motor shield for arduino Thay said
it has thermal shutdown protection but it went in to smoke anyway
May 25, 2013 11:40AM
was the amperage wrong?
May 27, 2013 09:15AM
L293D is a very primitive driver, and is 600mA max. it doesn't actively limit/control the current and its functionality is very straight forward. For these kinds of IC, you must use a motor that its short circuit current is below the operation limit.

Those drivers with microstepping must have active.current control, it does use pwm chopping to actively limit the current to a configured value - for these kinds of IC, you must use a motor that its short circuit is at ABOVE the preset value (200~300% is a good value) for correct microstepping operation (so that there is something to chop, instead of saturated).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login