Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melzi 5V supply drain current?

Posted by RomeoPapacy 
Melzi 5V supply drain current?
May 10, 2013 02:14PM
Hi all,

I, like many before me, am trying to connect my Raspberry Pi to my RepRap (pro Huxley).
I'm using the melzi V2 electronics supplied there with and was wondering whether there was any point on that board where I could draw 5V at 500mA without intefering with the RepRap operation?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RomeoPapacy
Re: Melzi 5V supply drain current?
May 10, 2013 06:15PM
Probably not, the regulator is an LM7805 with a rated output of 1A, you want to draw half of that in addition to Melzi's own consumption. You can pull it from the 5V pin of the extension header if you want to risk it.
May 10, 2013 07:40PM
In dire need, one can add one on top of a screw connector. Take a 7805 in to-220, check pinout datasheet, bend the legs of V+ and gnd and put them in screw connector of Vin and screw them tight together with the power wires. The 3rd terminal with 5v bent away, can solder a wire with a heatshrink insulation and take it where you need it. Screw terminals are nice this way.

Not very nice looking, and no caps on output, but perhaps you can do without. Or in extremis you could solder a 10uF directly on the legs. And a 1206 ceramic can find a good fit on the to-220 legs below the body.
June 02, 2013 11:59AM
I just use a powered usb hub to power my pi on my reprappro mendel.

Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login