Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Digipot board for RAMPS + DRV8825 : Looking for helping eyes

Posted by akhlut 
Digipot board for RAMPS + DRV8825 : Looking for helping eyes
May 03, 2013 11:47AM
Greetings all.

I posted this in the RAMPS forum the other day, but perhaps that was the wrong place.

I got the idea in my head that I'd like to use a digipot the way that RAMBo does to control the Vref of my stepper drivers. I understand that a stock Pololu will not work with a digipot, as there is no way to externally set the Vref. However, I've gotten away from Pololu's and now I'm using Panucatt's DRV8825 drivers. The really nice thing about these is that the have a Vref pin on a header, so externally setting the Vref should be possible. So I've made up a board that will accomplish this, along with some other stuff.

shield

In addition to the digipot I've gone and integrated SD RAMPS as well as the pinouts necessary for an LCD display with rotary encoder and momentary switch.

And here's the interface board.

LCD/Encoder interface

What do you think? Have I missed anything? Is there something that I should have included or broken out that I didn't?

This is my first foray back to eagle after a long time away, so feel free to be brutally honest.

As far as cost, to get both of the boards made at OSH Park cost about $30, or $10 for a set.

I'm fairly certain that this setup is compatible with marlin with a little modification.

All the components are sourced from digikey to keep overall costs down.

Also, this is v0.01 of the board. I might change the layout.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
Re: Digipot board for RAMPS + DRV8825 : Looking for helping eyes
January 10, 2016 12:03PM
Nice work!

What's the status on this development?

I'm currently looking for a complete electronics set with digital potentiometers (or any other way to get away from manual Vref adjustment) and higher current output than the A4988 can give (preferably drv8825)... If this board is known to work well, I might just put an order for it on OSH Park (fiddling with Marlin source is ok, as long as I know it will work eventually).

Cheers

torbjornludvigsen.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login