Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Q] Cheapest computer-free electronics

Posted by epicepee 
[Q] Cheapest computer-free electronics
March 12, 2013 01:02AM
I am planning on building my first RepRap printer and I was considering my options as far as control electronics. As the printer will be quite far from any computer, it must be able to print without a computer attached, even just to start it. My only other criterion is price. I am fine with soldering and flashing custom firmware if that's what it takes.
So, here are my questions:
  • Is it possible to print computer-free without an LCD and/or rotary controller?
  • Is it possible to attach an LCD and SD reader to a Sanguinololu?
  • Is it possible to attach an LCD to a Printrboard?
  • Where can I get an LCD and/or SD reader?
  • Do I have any other notable options? (RAMPS is too expensive)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mcp
Re: [Q] Cheapest computer-free electronics
March 12, 2013 03:12AM
Hi,
1. Use a Raspberry PI to drive the printer ;-)
2. It should be possible for nearly any HW, depended on you electronic skills
3. Might be a challange, don't know.
4. Depends on you choice of board. Parts can be sourced by ebay for example, I2C Display and SD-Card reader with level shifter. If you prefer ready build look at the sources of you board.
5. Cheapest will be GEN7 with expansion connector you can add display and SD-Card
March 12, 2013 11:12AM
Gen7 electronics look pretty expensive. I like the idea of using a raspi, though, even if it was a joke. I'll have to do some quick calculations to see if it would cost a reasonable amount.
I looked online for how to attach an LCD and SD reader to a Sanguinololu. I couldn't find much that wouldn't take lots of skill and experience with the board. Is that what it will take or is there an easier way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 11:21AM by epicepee.
mcp
March 12, 2013 11:34AM
Hi Gen7 is about 30$ if bought by a electronic components supply. Only you need to etch a PCB. I guess you won't find much cheaper....
Even the kit from traumflug is about 55 Euro plus shipping. Selfsourced should be much cheaper..
March 12, 2013 12:49PM
55 euro is fine. Where can I get that?
If it's RepRap DIY, I can't use that at the moment but I will be able to.
mcp
March 12, 2013 02:55PM
Yes, there I looked it up. Where do you live ?

I sourced my three 1.4.1 at Reichelt in Germany ;-)
March 12, 2013 04:24PM
I live in the US.

Okay. So, lots of research about substituting an atmega1284p into a Sanguinololu and attaching an LCD, SD reader and controller onto that. It seemed like a bit too much work and way too much uncertainty. Is there a way to build -- or buy -- a 1284p-based board entirely compatible with RAMPS? If not, I will probably use a Printrboard and Panelolu.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 09:46PM by epicepee.
March 16, 2013 06:55PM
epicepee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 55 euro is fine. Where can I get that?
> If it's RepRap DIY, I can't use that at the
> moment but I will be able to.

You can get all components, connectors and the board itself directly from [reprap-diy.com] (the Gen7 author's website).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login