Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beginner - understanding electronics for Prusa Mendel

Posted by st 
st
Beginner - understanding electronics for Prusa Mendel
February 21, 2013 05:11AM
Hi,

I've become interested and are reading up about building a 3D printer. The Prusa Mendel seems to have lots of support so I'm looking at building one of these.

I'm a mechanical engineer, but have only a little knowledge about electronics. Some of the basic electronics knowledge I do have comes from my sons Robotic Kit I got him for Christmas (RoboRobo Kit 1). That has a controller board that can be programmed (via computer program) to do varous tasks. Various modules can be hooked up to the board. For example it comes with motor controllers to drive motors, LED controllers, etc that all hook up to the micropocessor boards inputs/outputs.

I understand how that works, but when I start reading about Ramps boards to run a 3D printer I get confused. What is this for when you already have an Arduino board (for example)? The x,y,z drive axes run off a motor controller plugged in, and does extruder I think? I haven't looked into temperature monitoring or controlling much - is this what that board is for?

I've had a look around but haven't seen a simple explanation to questions like this. If you can offer some insight, or point me to some relevant pages, that would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Beginner - understanding electronics for Prusa Mendel
February 21, 2013 05:50AM
RAMPS is mostly an adaptor board for the Arduino. It provides drivers for heaters and connection points for stepper motor drivers, temperature sensors, and endstops.

It also provides the connection points to feed the main 12V power into the high power devices (motor drivers and heater drivers).

The Arduino controls each of these aspects via the hardware on the RAMPS board and the attached stepper motor drivers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login