Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Universal stripboard

Posted by Joost 
Universal stripboard
May 13, 2007 05:10PM
Today I have tried to put together the first universal board using the stripboard template I've posted earlier. It is not the best soldering job, but ... I think it works

I have attached some images of the process. Basicall, these were the steps taken:

- fix drill template, mark holes with feltpen on paper, look at backside of stripboard and mark again (images hole1, hole2, hole3)
- drill holes w/ 2.5MM drill, just throug the strips (images drill1, drill2, drill3)
- fix the components template, using the PIC as guide (image comp)
- solder the components; final result is in image uboard.jpg

Regarding the order of soldering, I did some of the vias first (below the L298N) but when I put the L298N on, it melted trough some of the vias, creating a shortcircuit between +5V and GND. If you use a stripboard, do those later (it is a little difficult because there's not much space next to the L298N). Finally, I tested the voltages using the guide on the Wiki - they seemed alright.

Since I have not been able to flash a PIC yet, I will have to wait and find out if it really works as it is supposed to, but so far I am confident. At least there was no smoke ... ;-)

Joost
Attachments:
open | download - hole1.jpg (37.3 KB)
open | download - hole2.jpg (50.2 KB)
open | download - hole3.jpg (68.8 KB)
open | download - drill1.jpg (61 KB)
open | download - drill2.jpg (63.5 KB)
open | download - drill3.jpg (62.5 KB)
open | download - comp.jpg (39.7 KB)
open | download - uboard.jpg (59 KB)
Re: Universal stripboard
May 13, 2007 10:09PM
nice, i like how you left the paper in there. hopefully it doesnt get too hot... it would suck if the board caught fire.
May 14, 2007 02:43AM
Well, I expect the board doesn't get that hot; then again: paper has an autoignition temeprature of approx 233C [en.wikipedia.org] which would save me to build the extruder - I can just press the filament throught the stripboard and extrude ABS ;-)

Joost
May 15, 2007 10:20PM
That was a good one Joost. On the off chance that it actually does happen, I'd like to see that blogged smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login