Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen 7 stepper motor communication

Posted by bobymoyle 
Gen 7 stepper motor communication
February 11, 2013 10:45AM
I just finished the Gen 7 1.4.1 board yesterday, and tried the test proposed on the gen7 page to test the firmware upload with the arduino IDE (the test proposed by traumflug that blinks the led). Everything worked perfectcly, so i uploaded teacup.
Now i would like to do the "Adjusting the Pololus/StepSticks" part of the page, but i don't understand how to send the command "G1 F50" to the board. I tried with the IDE console after uploading teacup firmware, and nothing happpend. I don't get how am i supposed to send simple g-code command to the board, and how should i specify the motor i want to run (if i want to only test the extruder motor for example)
Can anyone help me ?
Thanks
Re: Gen 7 stepper motor communication
February 11, 2013 07:22PM
Install host software. Most of them have a facility for sending gcode by hand. Pronterface is my preference, and makes it even easier, just hit the jog buttons.

If all else fails, fire up the serial monitor in the arduino IDE, set the baud to match that set in the firmware, and you can send gcode by hand. IIRC, teacup handles malformed gcode badly, so be careful to send correct gcode.

As for what gcode to send, G1 F50 is a move command. F is the feedrate axis, so at the end of this move Feedrate is 50 mm/min. (Note that this is not setting F to 50, its moving F to 50. If there was a physical move in the command, you'd see a linear acceleration from 0 to 50.)

The other available axes are X, Y, Z and E. Coordinates are absolute by default, so G1 X20 only moves the X axis the first time, the next command should be G1 X40 or G1 X0.

Gcode for control of heaters, testing endstops and so on can be found in the reprap wiki.
February 12, 2013 06:15AM

IIRC, teacup handles malformed gcode badly,

What? It's Pronterface which refuses to accept commands without "G1" smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 19, 2013 05:59PM
thank you both for your answer.
I tried pronterface, works well. It tried also with repetierhost and slic3r for my first print.
I wanted to submit an other problem : when doing my first print, something that i didn't understand happend several time : after some trying different print test, during the print, my gen7 mother board turn in stand by, stay 2 minutes like that, and then it start again moving. I first thought this can be because something went too hot, but after checking the board, everything is fine.
Do you have any idea from what this problem can comes ?
By the way, i would like to say thanks to markus "traumflug" for the wonderfull development of the electronic and to give all my support for your work. I find the idea of replicable electronic perfect. Thanks to you i m discovering geda and i learn a lot of things.
February 20, 2013 06:17AM
Glad you enjoy replicatable electronics.

after some trying different print test, during the print, my gen7 mother board turn in stand by, stay 2 minutes like that, and then it start again moving.

As there's no procedure in the firmware which might cause that, it also might be the USB driver messing up. Can't say for sure, though. To solve the problem, you'd have to find a repeatable procedure. Like a G-code file which always produces the issue. Or like a sequence of clicks in Pronterface.

February 20, 2013 09:46AM
Ok i ll try to find a repeatable procedure. I m using a USB/TTL cable, that looks fine. It might be the host soft. Can it be the use in a previous print of the reset button ? It's weird because when it stops during the print, repetierhost continu to send g code as if nothing happend, but the board is suddently in stand by.
I ll tell you when i find out more.
Thanks for helping.
February 22, 2013 07:26AM
Don't forget to check the voltage on the green wire on the ATX connector. I had a case where the ATmega pin for it simply became loose.

February 22, 2013 08:19AM
After some test, it went out that it was the host software (repetierhost). I tried printing with pronterface, it works perfectly.
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login