Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

can I use larger steppers on the RAMPs 1.4?

Posted by chgray 
can I use larger steppers on the RAMPs 1.4?
October 02, 2012 12:18PM
I have a RAMPs 1.4 that is driving two steppers (think Prusa)

I've gone accessory happy and I'm missing steps due to the weight the X axis

I'm hoping to buy two new steppers that can power through this extra weight - I'm hoping to understand if the problem is my stepper or if its the controller?

can the RAMPs 1.4 drive beefier motors? if so are there any recommendations?

-CG
Re: can I use larger steppers on the RAMPs 1.4?
October 02, 2012 03:44PM
What stepper drivers are you using? If it's stepstick, they are generally limited to 1 amp. 1A is on the lower side of what each axis should have, as standard - I usually aim for 1.2A. Usually NEMA17 can take up to about 1.7A, and provide huge amounts of torque at this level. If it's genuine pololu, you should be able to turn up the voltage to provide the motor with more amps. It would be pointless, and, indeed, counterproductive, to fit larger motors that actually need more current, without addressing if you can actually provide more current.
See how to check and adjust current for stepstick here: [reprap.org]
and here for pololu: [reprap.org]
April 29, 2013 02:44PM
I also wonder if anyone have tried using bigger drivers. I would like to use my Nema 23 3A steppers with DQ542MA drivers, which can handle 4.2A. Do you need the Pololu drivers or is it possibly just connect other drivers as you connect the Pololu drivers to the RAMPS? Does the Pololu driver work in a different way compared to other drivers?

This document shows that the Pololu driver is working at 1000 microseconds and the DQ542MA at 5050 us. Is that something that needs to be considered before attempt to connect it the the RAMPS?
May 02, 2013 09:04PM
I'm driving 2 of these

[www.shadowram.ca]

with the RAMPS 1.4 and A4988 Pololu driver, with the pots at about 30%.

No issues, But I have heat-sinks on them, and a fan blowing on them.

Also my setup might be lower resistance to move around than some of the standard RepRaps as the X and Y are on rails with rollers, instead of linear slides.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login