Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need A New Controller Board

Posted by fiveboltmain 
Need A New Controller Board
August 29, 2012 10:44PM
Hi all. I have a Reprap Mendel Pro with a Melzi controller board. Well, it appears that my temperature thermisters have shorted out on the hot end and fried something on the board.

My question is this: where can I go about finding a new Melzi controller board, or a newer better replacement. Are there anyother boards similar to the Melzi that have all ports for the stepper motors and for the heated bed and hot end? Getting a new board with the firmware already loaded would be the best but probably isn't going to happen. Are there any boards that are pretty straight forward and user friendly when it comes to loading the firmware and setting things up?

Please bear in mind that when it comes to electronics, I know enough to be dangerous but still have alot to learn. I really am looking forward to learning more about these electronics, however i would like to do so on my next 3d printer. Preferrably while this printer is up and running and making parts for the next one.

Thanks in advance,
John
Re: Need A New Controller Board
August 30, 2012 06:44AM
That's sad. You've exercised one of the reasons where industry made electronics have room for improvement.

About all RepRap electronics can replace a Melzi. The only unique feature of Melzi is it's support for three extruders. In case you ever make use of this.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 30, 2012 10:02AM
In an odd way, I'm kinda glad that is happened. This way i get to learn more about electronics, and when I get the current board fixed, I'll have enough parts to start building the next printer. Once winter sets in, I do plan on fixing the current board. Just right now due to time constraints and work projects i need to print out, I'm thinking a new board would be the fastest fix.

So, that being said what is everyone's opinion on which board would be a good user friendly replacement? Has something new come out since the melzi?

I haven't used the dual extruder capability yet, though I do have the extra print heads ready to bolt on. I just didn't want to start messing with those until I felt my single print head skills were improved.

Its not just a printer. Its an education. smiling smiley
August 31, 2012 05:27AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login