Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Initial Problem solved.

Posted by Xye 
Xye
Initial Problem solved.
August 08, 2012 03:03PM
See Post 4 For latest

I just finished making my Reprap Prusa Mendel. It came supplied with an Arduino Mega and a RAMPS 1.4 board, I've loaded the Marlin firmware (ErikZalm-Marlin-538189c) to the Arduino, and loaded ReplicatorG Ultimaker Edition 0035 to my computer.

I've not connected any of the stepper motors or thermistors to the board, and I've used the standard 4 pin molex power connector from a computer power supply ( the 12v to the 11A and the 5v to the 5A, I'm not sure about the 5V thing)

My problem is when I try to connect to the board through RepG to the board but I get the error message:

[18:36:46] Wrong baud rate or faulty firmware detected.
[18:36:46] Please select the right machine Driver and try again.

I'm using the right COM port. I'm not sure what the Baud rate is set to or how to change it. I've tried re-downloading the firmware and re uploading to the Arduino but I still get the same error message.

What am I doing wrong?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 02:05PM by Xye.
Re: Unable to Communicate
August 08, 2012 05:03PM
I've never used ReplicatorG, but i believe Marlin's baud rate is set to 250000 as default. Change your Replicator G settings to match that and it will probably work. Not sure exactly where to change it though, but google and you'll probably find it quickly.

Also, be sure to look through and check your settings in configuration.h in Marlin.
A lot of those defaults may or may not be right for your particular machine, and under certain circumstances running the machine with incorrect settings may cause damage (head crash into glass bed for example).

You'll have to set them up sooner or later anyway, so you might as well do it from the start, it will save you time later.
Most of the options are self explanatory, and those that aren't you should be able to find with google.
Prusas caluclator is a nice way to get a good starting point for calibration.

PS Ramps is designed for a 12 V (or higher) power supply. It won't damage anything using 5 V, but it's not ideal and your motors/hot end will probably be starved. Most people use 12 V on both supply connectors. The reason there is two connectors is that you may want/need to use a separate supply for the heated bed since it uses a lot of current.
August 09, 2012 03:40AM
The Pololu stepper drivers are specified to require 8V minimum for the motors, so 5V isn't sufficient.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Xye
August 09, 2012 07:48AM
Ok I've sorted out the power.

I've also updated to the latest version of RepG, and the Ultimaker Sprinter/marlin option has now gone. I've tried configuring my own Marlin .h file with Daids builder and uploaded that to the Arduino.

I'm so far out of my depth its untrue now and I'm worried I may break something if I keep fiddling without knowing what I'm doing.

What are the suggested programs I use for this build, with the RAMPS 1.4, Pololu stepper drivers, and Arduino Mega2560 R3.
Re: Help needed.
August 09, 2012 01:22PM
Try with slower baudrate, like 57600. Then work your way up.
Xye
August 09, 2012 01:55PM
The problem is I don't even know if i'm using the right settings everywhere else, currently I'm only testing with one stepper motor attached.

Maybe I should ask in the Mendel forum for help to see what people are using with their machines
August 09, 2012 01:57PM
I am not following...I bet most others too.

Exactly what's the question that stucked you?
Couldn't get communication working? or an axis moving~?
Xye
August 09, 2012 02:04PM
Sorry. The thread was started for a different problem.

I'll start a new one elsewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login