Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Urgent help: Initializing PIC-MP-USB on MPLAB X IDE

Posted by strikom 
Urgent help: Initializing PIC-MP-USB on MPLAB X IDE
August 07, 2012 10:46AM
Hi,
Im new with the PIC microcontrollers and microcontroller programming tools. I have recently purchased an OLIMEX PIC-MCP-USB device to program a PIC 16F84 microcontroller. I have downloaded the required drivers as well i think (USB - Serial Conversion). After i have connected my deviced with the microcontroller mounted on it, I run the MPLAB X IDE and try to configure a new project .It asks me to select a hardware dev, the list only shows PICkit2, PICkit3, simulator etc. it does not show my device anywhere. there are red and green signals next to the devices which i have no understanding of. THe device is brand new. I am hoping if some one can help me initialize the deivce. The need is urgent.

Best regards.
Re: Urgent help: Initializing PIC-MP-USB on MPLAB X IDE
August 08, 2012 07:43AM
I've never managed to get mplabx to connect to anything, though it recognises pickit2 and pickit3 are attached. i just use the specific programmes for each. I've never used the olimex programmer though, its easier to just add ICSP headers. The wiring s really easy, connect to power supply, MCLR (with pullup) and the icsp clk and data pins. Most devices don't need the pgm pin connected. If you're really stuck just buy a pickit2 as they're cheap and i've found them really reliable. Have a look around for a specific program to work with the olimex board as well and whatever you do keep clear of the pickit3, its a heap of junk, slow, needs firmware updates when you change device and loads of reports (including from me) that they need reprogramming out of the box.
Pete

strikom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> Im new with the PIC microcontrollers and
> microcontroller programming tools. I have recently
> purchased an OLIMEX PIC-MCP-USB device to program
> a PIC 16F84 microcontroller. I have downloaded the
> required drivers as well i think (USB - Serial
> Conversion). After i have connected my deviced
> with the microcontroller mounted on it, I run the
> MPLAB X IDE and try to configure a new project .It
> asks me to select a hardware dev, the list only
> shows PICkit2, PICkit3, simulator etc. it does not
> show my device anywhere. there are red and green
> signals next to the devices which i have no
> understanding of. THe device is brand new. I am
> hoping if some one can help me initialize the
> deivce. The need is urgent.
>
> Best regards.
Re: Urgent help: Initializing PIC-MP-USB on MPLAB X IDE
August 08, 2012 07:57AM
Thanks a lot for the advice Pete. Ill look for a replacement programmer and try to get my hands on a PICKit2

Best regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login