Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

All in one control box for EMC2 driven reprap

Posted by Petrus 
All in one control box for EMC2 driven reprap
August 03, 2012 08:03PM
To power the the heavy mendel I am building a box with all the power supply and electronics it will need for current and future uses.

The box will be equipped with :
* 5V power supply
* 12V power supply for the extruders and heated bed
* 24V power supply for the stepper drivers
* soft start circuit on the 12V and 24V
* 6 stepper drivers (X,Y,Z,A axis and 2 extruders)
* extruder switching circuit
* closed loop spindle controller
* frequency generator for the vertical lathe brushless motor
* 4 PWM outputs temperature controller with 8 thermocouple inputs

I will put safety on each component, if something goes wrong (driver overheating, extruder temperature falling, spindle blocked...) an emergency stop will be automatically triggered and will shut down all the electronics to prevent damages or wasted filament.
Each component will have at least a status led so if a shutdown occurs I will know what the origin is.

I've made the 6 stepper driver boards, the soft start circuit and the emergency stop management circuit : and these circuits that will be put on the front panel (axis and extruders management and probe circuit) : . Yep, the led spacers are printed.

Source files are available on the Heavy Mendel wiki page : [reprap.org]
Exept the emergency stop circuit that I didn't tested.
Re: All in one control box for EMC2 driven reprap
August 04, 2012 08:13AM
Great!
I need a controls like those too. Maybe 2 servo drivers for a fourth axis and bowden extruder with feedback.
This is the first reprap electronics i like. Well ok, i like the expansion header from generation 7 too and ramps has at least 5 stepper drivers.
Those Pololu stepper drivers are like toys, oversold and to weak for nema 23 stepppers.
You don't get enough credit for your contributions man.
Very skillfull, i wish there were more people like you!
August 04, 2012 10:54PM
If the TB6560 is mounted like this
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.53&id=14993177339
You could even stack them up.

I have one for my extruder, the heat sink is big enough and it barely gets warm.
September 02, 2012 11:43AM
Here is the extruder switching electronics :
A digital output is used to switch the step signal between the two extruder motor drivers, the circuit on the left do that job.
My dual extruder design will use an RC servo to lift the unused extruder, the signal to drive the servo will be generated by a circuit based on a NE555, that's the one on the right.
September 06, 2012 01:30PM
Now, the temperature regulation electronics:

The system is based on an Atmel atmega 324, the 8 thermocouple inputs are multiplexed by two 4052 circuits, so only one thermocouple amplifier is used.
The 3 other boards are the power switching circuits, the big one will control the heated bed . The small one with the 2 big mos salvaged from a motherboard will control the extruder's heaters and the other controls the 2 cooling fans (1 for each extruder).
November 03, 2012 08:42PM
I finally finished the wiring of the box :
Front :
Back :
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login