Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

newb.. Heatbed and Printrboard Questions

Posted by 6of1 
newb.. Heatbed and Printrboard Questions
July 07, 2012 03:23PM
I have the Printrboard Rev C and right now a MK1 heatbed. I built my machine a little bigger then specs on the wiki. Mechanicly its working fine but my MK1 heatbed/table is much smaller then the amount of travel I have. Are there any other heated bed options that will work like the MK1 plugged into the Printrboard?

the Mk1 (with my piece of glass) gives me a 203mm x 203mm bed. I have calculated that I could get a 255mm x 290mm bed in there.
Re: newb.. Heatbed and Printrboard Questions
July 07, 2012 11:44PM
For my Mendelmax, I'm using a silicon heating pad from McMaster-Carr (35765K31) and a solid state relay to allow a RAMPS1.4 to control the temperature. I have the pad under an aluminum plate with some pipe insulation to keep the heat where it's needed. Currently using self-adhesive PET from mcmaster on top of the plate.
July 09, 2012 12:00PM
> For my Mendelmax, I'm using a silicon heating pad
> from McMaster-Carr (35765K31)

Have you tried other heating methods? PCB or power resistors? How does it compare? I was turned off to the heating pad for cost reasons but if it really works better I might want to try it.
July 09, 2012 10:28PM
The heating pad heats up the bed really fast. I have a MK1 heatbed on a Prusa, takes about 5-8 minutes to heat up. The 9"x9" 810 watt/sq in pad takes about 20 seconds to get to 110C, now the waiting is for the hotend to heat up. The wattage is overkill for a heatbed, next time I may get the low wattage pad. I currently have the thermister on the bottom side of the pad, opposite of the aluminum plate, so the surface temp is around 93C. Temperature control is a must with this pad. I tested it before installing and the pad started smoking when the thermister lost contact with it.
July 10, 2012 08:51AM
I recommend a thermal cut out or a thermal fuse as well, otherwise a single point of failure might cause a fire.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 11, 2012 04:31PM
Good idea. Ordered one that opens at 167C, with an operating temp of 147C. A big enough margin, since the temp does overshoot by about 15C when heated the first time from room temp to 110C.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login